Advice Request What are the best settings for KIS 2016?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob974

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Hi,
I would like some advices about the KIS 2016 settings.
I've a SSD...
What are the best settings?
thanks

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
This is my KIS 2016 settings

1)Turn on System Changes Control.

2)Default Web and File protection settings.

3) Un-check install Kaspersky extension in Web Protection.

4)Un-check Trust Digitally Signed Application.

5)Move unknown application to high restricted.

6)Un-check everything on Computer Resources.

I recommend you un-check Trust Digitally Signed Applications on Application Control because if you do not un-check that, than Kaspersky will just allow adware and PUPs install on your system. As for the Web Protection, I find the default settings is already good enough but you might want to un-check the Kaspersky extension if you don't want to use it in Web Protection.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Depends on whether you choose to go with Protection or Usability as Settings according to these preferences will vary. What's best for one, might not be for another.

bob974

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Thank you for your contest,
I modified some settings with your advices
I want a good protection...

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
But I still have no SSD, maybe sooooon!!!! :D

Also I would added in Settings -> Additional -> Threats & Exclusions -> enable -> Detect other software than can be used...

D

Deleted member 2913

If I am right System Watcher have an option something like "Dont monitor programs with digital signatures" & checked by default, should the option be unchecked for better protection?

And I want to know, Kaspersky puts programs under Low, Medium, High, etc... category...the analyze is local or internet/cloud dependent or limited analyze can be done local i.e offline & full analyze on internet/cloud connected?
And does KSN disable affects the analyze?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
It's Application Control the module that has that setting, and here is how I have it:

Sin_t_tulo.png

But, maybe sometimes some trust/signed applications will be moved to restriction groups, I constantly check my Application Control to see what's happening there, untrusted or trsuted applications, startup blocked applications, etc.... that's the price We have to pay of being paranoid :D I have no problem with this...

About KSN rules, yes is cloud/internet dependent, but I think/guess if You don't have internet in a moment, Kaspersky has a local cache of the last synchronization.

And yes, obviously disabling it will affect analyze... then a heuristic analyze will be performed when a new application is started, but You will not have the KSN benefits such as Application Whitelisting, Urgent Detection System (UDS detections), etc.

More info here: http://www.kaspersky.com/images/KESB_Whitepaper_KSN_ENG_final.pdf

D

Deleted member 2913

harlan,

Recently I had tried Kaspersky Endpoint. And System Watcher too had an option "Dont monitor programs with digital signs"...this option is not there in Kaspersky home products?

And you mean Cloud/KSN plays a part in categorizing programs in low/medium/high/etc category?

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
It's Application Control the module that has that setting, and here is how I have it:

Sin_t_tulo.png

But, maybe sometimes some trust/signed applications will be moved to restriction groups, I constantly check my Application Control to see what's happening there, untrusted or trsuted applications, startup blocked applications, etc.... that's the price We have to pay of being paranoid :D I have no problem with this...

About KSN rules, yes is cloud/internet dependent, but I think/guess if You don't have internet in a moment, Kaspersky has a local cache of the last synchronization.

And yes, obviously disabling it will affect analyze... then a heuristic analyze will be performed when a new application is started, but You will not have the KSN benefits such as Application Whitelisting, Urgent Detection System (UDS detections), etc.

More info here: http://www.kaspersky.com/images/KESB_Whitepaper_KSN_ENG_final.pdf

I thought UDS mean UnDetectedSample based on Kaspersky detection. But now I learn that UDS actually mean UrgentDetectionSystem.

Reactions: harlan4096
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.