Troubleshoot What is the best motherboard on this list?

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
No
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
No
Hi, I kept on my motherboard search and found several more than I expected. These are:

Asrock H270 Pro4 Motherboard
Mother Msi H270 Pc Matte
Msi B250m Mortar Artic
Msi H270m Bazooka Motherboard
Motherboard Asrock B250m Pro4
Gigabyte Z170xp-sli

Which is the best? Which one do I buy? Thank you very much in advance. Best regards

Last edited:
Reactions: SumTingWong

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
I'm looking for the most PCIe slots and four RAM slots. Also it is compatible with a i7-7770 and with a video card EVGA GT 730 4GB DDR5. Thanks a lot. Best regards.

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Feature-wise Asrock H270 Pro4 is in lead
shot-20180506-16926-sx4uid.jpeg

For PCIe check chipset limitations, it's not a motherboard based feature
2nEnW8I.png

Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Be very careful with Asrock- the board itself is far too flexible, and there has been an ongoing issue with bent CPU pins which are not covered under warranty.

I previously had an ongoing battle with them about a bent pin MB which was only resolved when they sent me a replacement 3 months later (it's still in my closet). Needless to say I had in the interim purchased another brand (MSI).

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Be very careful with Asrock- the board itself is far too flexible, and there has been an ongoing issue with bent CPU pins which are not covered under warranty.

I previously had an ongoing battle with them about a bent pin MB which was only resolved when they sent me a replacement 3 months later (it's still in my closet). Needless to say I had in the interim purchased another brand (MSI).

ASROCK has had an issue with flimsy boards for some time, I am glad someone else noticed this.

I switched to MSI myself and hope someday to return to ASROCK.

Upvote 0

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
ASROCK has had an issue with flimsy boards for some time, I am glad someone else noticed this.

I switched to MSI myself and hope someday to return to ASROCK.

I'm usually a Gigabyte guy but recently purchased a new board from MSI, I am still waiting for it to be shipped.

How are the quality of their boards from your experience?

Upvote 0

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018

How is the MSI motherboard so far? Just recently ordered one and hasn't arrived yet.

Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Sly- I still remember when I got the Asrock board. It was so fully featured that I should have known something was wrong as the price was fairly low. But after unbending the CPU pins (didn't work) I installed my Xeon and the heatsink- which was (is) a Thermalright Ultra-120 which weighs in (with a Nexus 120mm fan that I used- I LOVE silence) at about 750 grams.

I almost fainted when the board bowed inwards. I immediately realized why the Asrock prices were so low...

SumTing- I agree with you about Asus. It really irritated me that they refused to support a Xeon chip in their firmware, hoping people instead would buy their overpriced server board.

Cruelsister's Silent Build Hint (actually shamelessly ripped off from my Father)- If you are using a traditional hard drive as either a primary or secondary drive, and also have room on the case floor, and are annoyed by all the drive noise (makes me nuts!), consider decoupling it from the drive cage and instead placing it on the case floor on top of something like this:

Cold Packs.png

It will absorb all of the drive noise, and if you also have a lower case fan blowing inwards it will keep the drive cooler.

Chimaira- I've been using mine for about 3 years now (which is a lot longer than I normally have gone between builds, but I can't justify a change) and it has performed superbly. The price was competitive and the build quality was excellent. I still check out reviews of current boards and I haven't seen any indication that they have messed up since I bought mine.

You should love it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Sly- I still remember when I got the Asrock board. It was so fully featured that I should have known something was wrong as the price was fairly low. But after unbending the CPU pins (didn't work) I installed my Xeon and the heatsink- which was (is) a Thermalright Ultra-120 which weighs in (with a Nexus 120mm fan that I used- I LOVE silence) at about 750 grams.

I almost fainted when the board bowed inwards. I immediately realized why the Asrock prices were so low...

SumTing- I agree with you about Asus. It really irritated me that they refused to support a Xeon chip in their firmware, hoping people instead would buy their overpriced server board.

Cruelsister's Silent Build Hint (actually shamelessly ripped off from my Father)- If you are using a traditional hard drive as either a primary or secondary drive, and also have room on the case floor, and are annoyed by all the drive noise (makes me nuts!), consider decoupling it from the drive cage and instead placing it on the case floor on top of something like this:

View attachment 188137

It will absorb all of the drive noise, and if you also have a lower case fan blowing inwards it will keep the drive cooler.

It's good to see intelligent minds think alike. ;)

For mechanicals I like to place rubber feet around them then drill 2 holes in the case floor and zip-tie the drive down pulling those feet in tight. This is actually how Digium does it in their VOIP appliances so the mechanicals make no noise.

https://www.amazon.com/Self-Adhesive-Bumper-82-Piece-Spherical-Square/dp/B06XCLYL53

Upvote 0

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018

View attachment 188137

Chimaira- I've been using mine for about 3 years now (which is a lot longer than I normally have gone between builds, but I can't justify a change) and it has performed superbly. The price was competitive and the build quality was excellent. I still check out reviews of current boards and I haven't seen any indication that they have messed up since I bought mine.

You should love it!

That is great to hear! Thanks for letting me know.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I agree with the suggestions of either MSI or Gigabyte. It pains me to say this, but the ASUS of now is not the ASUS of old. In my opinion, ASUS use to be king. When you got an ASUS board you were guaranteed quality. There customer support use to be very good as well. Unfortunately, this period has passed and ASUS is not the same company that I once loved when I started building computers. Recently I find their quality has dropped (alot...) and their boards are $50-$100 more expensive compared to their competition equivalents (MIS/Gigabyte). It seems like both MSI and Gigabyte have really turned it around recently and are putting out top notch boards.

What really tipped me over the edge was when this whole Spectre/Meltdown microcode thing was going on. ASUS for while refused to update some boards, touting EOL. I think they have had a change of heart and released BIOS updates for many of their boards (just last week), but personally, I think it was due to the backlash they were getting, not because it was the right thing to do.

As for Asrock, I have never tried their boards, but something never sat quite right with me since they came out. I always felt like it was always to good to be true.

I think my next build/upgrade will be with either MSI or Gigabye.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.