What is the safest (or safer) payment apps for Android OS?

Safest/Safer Mobile Payment Apps for Android Phones

• Google Wallet

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • PayPal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Softcard

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Main Question: I am considering trying to use the Payment Apps for Android OS (PayPal, Google Wallet, SoftCard).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Specs:
-Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900T)
-Android 4.4.2 - we are supposed to get updated to 5.0 in early 2015.
-(T-Mobile/Samsung is always very slow on issuing Android updates - I know about the TouchWiz factors, etc)
-I have a very good Mobile Security App
-The device has NFC capabilities which make it useful for mobile payments (such as Apple Pay).
-I keep Security policies up to date, Don't sideload Apps, and only use the Google Play Store.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Exactly how safe are these apps in general terms?

*Another general concern is the long delay in Android OS updates (Next time, I may just buy a Google Play edition). IF we are 3-4 months out from the release date for Nexus devices, that exposes us to more risk. Not to mention having your fingerprint stored on your device as many flaws as there has been with Apple.

*I am also hesitant to use any mobile banking app for obvious reasons - on a Mobile Phone -IMHO it is pretty risky as there are Malware specifically designed to target those apps (or masquerade as them)

*What is you guys opinion? Am I overly concerned or is there a decent alternative?

*Which app(s) would you recommend as safer/safest?

Sorry for the long post, I am trying to get more familiar with Android OS, and have an interest in InfoSec which I plan on going to school for.

Thank you guys for your response.

Have a happy holidays!

Reactions: RXZ6Q and Ink

Crypto

Level 2
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
(Yes, I'm well aware that this topic is a few years old but there aren't many current topics so it's only a few pages behind. Answering for future reference.)

But anyways, any app such as Google Wallet, Android Pay, or PayPal is safe. It's mainly a matter of security habits, how your device and account is secured, etc.

I personally prefer PayPal but you may find other apps useful depending on what you're using them for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.