Question What is the scariest moment in security in your life?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

vokeb

Level 1
Apr 20, 2023
This has happened multiple times for you?
Yes quite a few times as i like to keep changing security products asnd use them as in day to day like scenarios .
Probably i will be safer if i stick to bitdefender , avast , kaspersky but thats boring.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Yes quite a few times as i like to keep changing security products asnd use them as in day to day like scenarios .
Probably i will be safer if i stick to bitdefender , avast , kaspersky but thats boring.
You should always be very careful what files you open. If you only only files from trusted sources, it's very hard to get infected.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I have a boring security history. Before Windows XP, I was unaware of the risks, but never got infected (at least not that I was aware of). With the introduction of Windows XP I bought a PC which had XP Pro 64 bits on it and found out that there were no free AntiVirus solutions available for XP 64 bits. This is also the reason I discovered WS and MT forums (and Security.NL). Because I could not find free AV, I asked our company's system admin.

He told me to learn to run as standard user and use Software Restriction Policies and setting access control restrictions with ICACLS. Also Internet Explorer, how bad it maybe was, could be hardened with Group Policy editor. When the first free AV's became available for XP 64 bits, a few had problems updating under standard user and someone from our IT-department provided me with a sample script of applications updating at log-on. So I kept running standard user and never had a scary moment security wise.

WhiteMouse

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2017
I have a boring security history. Before Windows XP, I was unaware of the risks, but never got infected (at least not that I was aware of). With the introduction of Windows XP I bought a PC which had XP Pro 64 bits on it and found out that there were no free AntiVirus solutions available for XP 64 bits. This is also the reason I discovered WS and MT forums (and Security.NL). Because I could not find free AV, I asked our company's system admin.

He told me to learn to run as standard user and use Software Restriction Policies and setting access control restrictions with ICACLS. Also Internet Explorer, how bad it maybe was, could be hardened with Group Policy editor. When the first free AV's became available for XP 64 bits, a few had problems updating under standard user and someone from our IT-department provided me with a sample script of applications updating at log-on. So I kept running standard user and never had a scary moment security wise.
Softwares in XP era assumes you have admin privilege, many of them don't work properly if you run as SUA (at least in my experience).

Reactions: roger_m
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Softwares in XP era assumes you have admin privilege, many of them don't work properly if you run as SUA (at least in my experience).
True, but I ran Office and Windows browser and less than a handfull of other programs. I had a friend who worked at a charity foundation who illegally provide me with a free Office license, from Windows7 I bought cheap digital licenses.

On my Android phone I also have only one app-page with 15 aps in total, while my wife has 8 pages full of apps. I guess it all depends how you use your devices.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Now that's an idea. Each time a virus is detected, you hear the giggling of young children. It works exceptionally well when you perform night scans and have no children in the house. Nothing sounds more fun than hearing children giggling at 3 am while knowing you don't have kids.
As a parent of a child whose old enough to get out of his room at night, it’s just as scary with children. Just for a different reason.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.