What Protocol Should Vendors Follow when Fixing Bugs and Vulnerabilities ?

What Protocol Should Vendors Follow when Fixing Bugs and Vulnerabilities ?

• Fix only existing bugs and not introduce new bugs by adding new features or vulnerability fixes

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Fix only vulnerabilies first, even if those fixes introduce new bugs. Afterwards, focus on bug fixes

Votes: 17 81.0%

• Total voters
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Please participate in this poll -- the information is important.

If enough people participate, then I can point some development teams to this poll. They might find the poll results very useful.

Because there is limited space in the poll fields, the first answer option is meant as - "Fix only bugs first, then afterwards focus on vulnerability fixes" = fix what is already there and broken before introducing new bugs.

Consider your answer carefully -- but don't over think or over complicate the poll.

Think about this...

A.

A bug or vulnerability fix can cost a developer thousands of dollars. For example, if a bug requires 3 development team members being paid $1000 per week - and it takes 3 weeks for them to fix the bug, then the payroll expense to the developer is $9000.

B.

Developers use different scheduling methods to fix bugs and vulnerabilities. Some do it "on-the-fly" while others will adhere to a set calendar schedule. For example, in June they will fix bugs in one product, in July switch to fixing vulnerabilities in a different product - that might take two or months to fix, and then return to fixing vulnerabilities in the first product in September.

C.

Developers have a difficult time recruiting and retaining talented staff. Under-staffed development teams makes bug and vulnerability fixes a real challenge.

D.

The vast majority of bugs are merely an annoyance. Detrimental bugs (design flaws) and vulnerabilities are less common than your average, run-of-the-mill annoying bug.

E.

Generally, developers cannot concurrently fix a large number of bugs and vulnerabilities; the developer must prioritize vulnerabilities and bug fixes.

You cannot realistically expect to get both at the same time from most developers.

This is the reason there is no "Do both bug and vulnerability fixes at the same time" option in the poll.

F.

Crafting a perfect software version or build prior to release just is not possible. With the huge range of user systems and operating systems, all the variables cannot be considered.

G.

Most vendors have almost non-existent internal quality control programs that require intense, extensive testing prior to version\build releases.

That's just the way it is... and the way the industry works...

H.

Everybody wants bugs and vulnerability fixes done yesterday - which just isn't realistic. It isn't how software engineering works...

I.

More often than not, vulnerability fixes and new features introduce new bugs.

K.

A lot of vendors use Bugzilla and customize their priority codes.

For example,

C = Critical = something is not functioning and\or is a vulnerability (bypass or some failure probable) - priority fix next build\version release

A = we will try to fix it within the alotted time and available staff - but do not expect a fix earlier than 6 months or longer

B = we will try to fix it within the allotted time and available staff - but A comes first - do not expect a fix 12 months or longer

C = this will take a very long time to fix - do not expect a fix 24 months or longer

D = this will likely NEVER be fixed

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Vulnerability first, then bugs. by Vulnerability i mean security holes; not protection features that was not present. for example, i dont care an AV introduce a security features like some shopping protection if they still allow a vulnerability to be present.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Vulnerability first, then bugs. by Vulnerability i mean security holes; not protection features that was not present. for example, i dont care an AV introduce a security features like some shopping protection if they still allow a vulnerability to be present.
Ditto
The ones that practice this are a step ahead, there are far too many who take a bassackwords approach to this.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Thread author
1st - Vulnerabilities and Critical Bugs (something is seriously broken that makes the soft worthless without a fix)
2nd - Bugs - typical annoying usability bug that is of no real threat to security
3rd - New Features

If you are particularly fussy about your security softs, then you will not be satisfied no matter what the vendor does...

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LabZero

Thread author
I think that all the vendors first have to fix all the bugs, even though we know that debugging is difficult and costs a lot of money.
But, especially if we talk about AVs, a serious bug in the engine is the same as a serious vulnerability and we already know.
A bug in the engine means the corruption of kernel memory, since the engine is loaded into the kernel. In this way, the vulnerability becomes remote ring0 memory corruption.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The protocol here is very simple.

Any vulnerabilities even it is disclosed should be fix immediately and enforce hotfix for the users. Why?

Because that problem is already here and existing, so do the priorities first; remember that security will be the number one priority and we should prevent any compromise scenarios.

Creating strong mechanism can be done at any type of day as long it's a systematic process.

Reactions: Logethica

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I think that all the vendors first have to fix all the bugs, even though we know that debugging is difficult and costs a lot of money.
But, especially if we talk about AVs, a serious bug in the engine is the same as a serious vulnerability and we already know.
A bug in the engine means the corruption of kernel memory, since the engine is loaded into the kernel. In this way, the vulnerability becomes remote ring0 memory corruption.
I have to agree with Klipsh this one! what more can i say?.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Bump... to increase voting.
Haha..Good Idea (which I may steal myself);)
I voted for "Fix only vulnerabilities first.."...
The Logic behind my decision is that if the underlying choice is to prioritise fixing either "Vulnerabilities" or "Bugs" then I have to choose the former, as "Security" must take priority over "Usability"..
If one was to only fix vulnerabilities once ALL bugs had been fixed then we would be waiting for a very long time indeed.
My approach would be to...
1) Immediately release a private BETA version that plugs/overwrites the vulnerability in question...
2) Convert that BETA release to an automatic update/download that is available to the public once it has passed 48 hour private BETA testing...and make sure that this update is purely a vulnerability fix rather than an excuse to roll out new features.
3) Once no "reported" vulnerabilities exist then concentrate on "bug fixes"/ Improvements.

I did not find the vote an easy decision as it is a bit of a "Catch 22"..
A Security Software will perpetually have both "bugs" & "vulnerabilities" (whether known or unknown)..and speaking generally,to concentrate 100% purely on one of these two choices would mean that developers/fixers never get around to the other choice...
In the end I concluded that..Security trumps Usability.

Reactions: LabZero
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Re-post:

1st - Vulnerabilities and Critical Bugs (something is seriously broken that makes the soft worthless without a fix)
2nd - Bugs - typical annoying usability bug that is of no real threat to security
3rd - New Features

If you are particularly fussy about your security softs, then you will not be satisfied no matter what the vendor does...

Reactions: Logethica

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Re-post:

3rd - New Features

Then I am In agreement with you it seems :)...haha Would you rather that I just commented "Ditto What hjlbx said"? :D

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
I'm no expert, but in my opinion I'd focus on the vulnerablities first before fixing the bugs. It's akin to shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted if you focus on bug fixes first as the vulnerabilites could get exploited, whereas a bug is just an annoyance

Reactions: Logethica and Cohen

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.