Serious Discussion What Routers are the most secure?

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
It's less about attack surface for routers because all hardware has bugs. it's more about how long it takes for vendors to patch bugs/exploits. ASUS, Neatgear, Mikrotik are all good choices for consumer devices with frequent security patches/updates. Ubiquiti is good value too but has had a few hum dinger bugs lately like all enterprise gear.

If you choose enterprise level gear like Cisco, Palo Alto, Juniper or Fortinet you probably have too much money because subscriptions every year will drain you bank account. Enterprise doesn't guarantee you security, they have just as many bugs/exploits/attacks like consumer devices.

Enterprise is nice too fool around with in your home lab but from experience consumer devices protect the home network just as good as the Cisco's etc for much less money.
Amen...thank you :) After reading this thread, I knew it was time to upgrade my cheaper and outdated Linksys "basic in, basic out" router as I couldn't remember its last firmware update. I know this ASUS RT-AX3000 router is still a mid tier consumer model, but, it is still getting firmware updates, has no perceived EOL as of now, and does have the Trend Micro security.

It seems like for my use, Trend Micro is a benefit.
2024-04-04_7-52-33.jpg

When I set up the router, I got this message when trying to switch to WPA3 Personal from WPA2. Should I switch to 3 for its better security, and relog in in to all of my devices that it may affect?
2024-04-04_7-55-11.jpg

Reactions: Nevi and vtqhtr413
Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2024
When I set up the router, I got this message when trying to switch to WPA3 Personal from WPA2. Should I switch to 3 for its better security, and relog in in to all of my devices that it may affect?
View attachment 282582
As you suggested WPA3 plugs some security vulnerabilities and weaknesses found in WPA2 but you may run into compatibility with certain devices, if so you can always revert back to WPA2 if needed as suggested by the prompt.

Upvote 0

Tume

Level 2
Verified
Mar 30, 2018
I use Fujitsu Futro S930 with AMD G-Series GX424CC @2.4Ghz 4-core CPU. It cost 75€ from Ebay Germany. I also bought correct riser to it and Intel i350-T4 Quad Port NIC.

Installed OPNSense to it.

As switch and WLAN AP I use Ubiquiti devices.

Great review about Futro S920 as hardware firewall

Upvote 0

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
But it has no malware protection. To do that means it'll need to tie up with a large AV/AM company and likely to provide a subscription service

No Wifi support. Can overcome with a travel router like the Beryl AX (GL-MT3000) from below

It can protect IoT devices through creating VLAN and setting up a network segment for the IoT devices

2Gb WireGuard.....would this be a bottleneck for VPN? 10Gb would be better.

Its supports 3rd-party VPN service. That's great for now one can ride upon those 3rd-party VPN 10Gb servers

From its website OOKLA Speedtest

Speedtest.png
They claim they do block malicious sites and intrusions:

IMG_2917.jpeg

Reactions: Nevi
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.