What security suite/antivirus are you using with VoodooShield?

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
This configuration is a solid configuration in my opinion. But ESET still does not cover what VoodooShield covers. VS is an anti exe which also queries Virustotal whenever an unknown file is executed. Is VS absolutely necessary when using ESET? Not at all. But VS complements ESET very well since ESET does not have a Trusted Application Mode like Kaspersky. If one uses KIS I find VS redundant.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@devjit2018 are you using VS free or pro? I have been mulling get over trying it, both with Eset, or with WD. I’m not sure if the free version is good enough or if I’d need to pay up for it to work well.
The free version is good enough, as long as you have a standard system. With the pro, you can do things like move your downloads folder somewhere else but still have full protection for it, you can have different settings for different users, you can tweak this and that... but the basic protection is the same

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
The free version is good enough, as long as you have a standard system. With the pro, you can do things like move your downloads folder somewhere else but still have full protection for it, you can have different settings for different users, you can tweak this and that... but the basic protection is the same

That’s actually good to know because I don’t use the standard download folder, though I could adjust and move files after download.

Reactions: ZeroDay and Wraith

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
That’s actually good to know because I don’t use the standard download folder, though I could adjust and move files after download.
If your download folder is located outside of your user profile, for instance, you put it on a different partition, then VS at default settings will not monitor it, when VS toggles to OFF. The sign of this state is when the icon turns red (ON is blue). In this state, only high-risk areas are monitored.

What's the danger? Let's say you close your browser, and now you have no web-facing apps open. VS will toggle to OFF after a couple seconds. Now you go to your download folder, and click on a baddie. It will not be blocked unless it starts running LOL bins.

But you could run VS in always-on mode, as a workaround. Many people do that anyway, for increased security. The downside of always-on mode is that theoretically, there are certain background processes might get continually blocked. I don't know how much this actually happens in reality, though.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
If your download folder is located outside of your user profile, for instance, you put it on a different partition, then VS at default settings will not monitor it, when VS toggles to OFF. The sign of this state is when the icon turns red (ON is blue). In this state, only high-risk areas are monitored.

What's the danger? Let's say you close your browser, and now you have no web-facing apps open. VS will toggle to OFF after a couple seconds. Now you go to your download folder, and click on a baddie. It will not be blocked unless it starts running LOL bins.

But you could run VS in always-on mode, as a workaround. Many people do that anyway, for increased security. The downside of always-on mode is that theoretically, there are certain background processes might get continually blocked. I don't know how much this actually happens in reality, though.

Very good info on how that works. Thanks!

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The downside of always-on mode is that theoretically, there are certain background processes might get continually blocked. I don't know how much this actually happens in reality, though.

Why would it theoretically block background processes? I've never experienced anything like this. I only use Autopilot or Always On, the latter probably 90% of the time. I'd venture a guess that way more people use either of these modes than Smart Mode.

@blackice - I used the free version intially but have used Pro for much longer and glad I made the change . It's been so long I forget what you can and can't do with the free version.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Why would it theoretically block background processes?
That's what Dan has said in the past. When VS is toggled OFF, the protection is relaxed so that the system might be able to run a task that was blocked when the more aggressive protection of ON was applied. For this reason, in smart mode -- which is the recommended mode -- VS will automatically toggle OFF after X minutes of user inactivity.

For more details, ask Dan or try rummaging through old posts on Wilders.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Hello, My Security goes like this: Voodoo-Shield Pro+Avast Premier+Avast Antitrack Premium+Avast Cleanup Premium+Avast Secureline & Surfeasy Ultra & at last but not least: Syshardener(Default Settings)

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
@devjit2018 are you using VS free or pro? I have been mulling get over trying it, both with Eset, or with WD. I’m not sure if the free version is good enough or if I’d need to pay up for it to work well.
Like @shmu26 said, the Free version is good to go if you don't need tweaking. Set it to Always On and you're good to go. I have a promotional license for VS Pro and so I'm using it. Once it expires I'll stick to the Free version. Protection wise they should be the same.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Hi: Anyway to contact Dan, I bought a two year licence yesterday & according to the blurb was supposed to be a quick turnaround but heard nothing, verified PayPal payment, the form on the site doesn't seem to work & the name/password isn't working either - I assume because I don't have the product yet. I don't buy all programs but I've had a free year & happy to do so at least at the moment - Thanks

Edit: checked spam folder.

Reactions: oldschool

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi: Anyway to contact Dan, I bought a two year licence yesterday & according to the blurb was supposed to be a quick turnaround but heard nothing, verified PayPal payment, the form on the site doesn't seem to work & the name/password isn't working either - I assume because I don't have the product yet. I don't buy all programs but I've had a free year & happy to do so at least at the moment - Thanks

Edit: checked spam folder.
He is not on this forum.
email him at: support at voodooshield

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

mucem

Level 1
May 3, 2019
i use comodo cis + ad-aware total security with voodooshield,

and also i'm new member o this forum, i make my introduction;
i'm mucem, 29 years old and i have graphics problems on my new screen on my desktop pc,

thanks...

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
i use comodo cis + ad-aware total security with voodooshield,

and also i'm new member o this forum, i make my introduction;
i'm mucem, 29 years old and i have graphics problems on my new screen on my desktop pc,

thanks...
With Comodo Internet Security, the rest are redundant. Configure CIS properly and you're good to go. Just toss an adblocker and syshardener.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.