please help the computer now without anti virus

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hello

Can you list which Internet Security suites have you tried?

So we can get an idea what you have / not used.

Z

ZeroDay

Have you tried Comodo internet security? It's very light indeed.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
Hmm, less than a GB of RAM. Have you tried Microsoft Security Essentials w/ ZA Firewall. I think it's a great combo.

Otherwise, you could try something different like Emsisoft Mamutu or Comodo Firewall, a secure browser like Comodo Dragon w/ NoScript, and Sandboxie to open suspicious files. Disable autorun/immunize your USB. Also, there is Zemana AntiLogger. You can forego the realtime AV and do with an on-demand scanner like MBAM, Hitman Pro, VirusTotal Uploader.

The latest version of SpywareBlaster supports Chrome as well, so you can look into that.

You can try various combinations of the above to see what suits your need. With 894 MB of RAM, I cannot imagine using a security suite or even a realtime antivirus. This is how I survive without one: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Why-I-don-t-feel-the-need-to-use-realtime-AV but again, it all depends on how comfortable you are and your internet browsing habits.

Another idea is that you can run Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
Also, what work do you do on it? Can you give the detailed specs of your pc?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Completely agree with BSOD with this. If you have less than a GB of ram what is the point of running a heavy suite like Kaspersky? MSE would be the only AV that would run quite fast on your machine.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Regarding on RAM, standard for everyone is 2GB since its efficient to make it responsive at all.

Or use Linux at all since its design to work from old and modern machines.

D

Deleted member 178

I will go with MSE + Zone Alarm Firewall free (WinXP FW is bad)

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
As much as I disagree with MSE,
MSE + Zone Alarm Firewall free is your best bet.
However, if you want to go lighter you can give Webroot SA a try as Its the lightest product I have used however it is a Paid Product.
But we do have a 6 month giveaway in the giveaway section laying around there somewhere...

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Another great idea is Webroot Secureanywhere products. It's big advantage is that it is very light, possible lighter than MSE. You can try the 6 months trial of antivirus (check giveaways section of the forum, or google it) and if It does what you want, go buy it. About the firewall, I don't know which specific product is the lightest, so get an advice from the guys here.

Edit: 3link9, after posting I noticed you suggested the same product, I didn't do it by arrogance xD

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Some Suite which will not Slow Down your PC at all.

1. ESET Smart Security v6
2. Comodo Internet Security v6 (Best)
3. Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Well XP with less than a gig of RAM is kind of a standard in most old pc's running XP.

Light AV :
MSE (lightest)
Avira (light + good detection rate, you can select detection level (low/med/high) though if you keep it hight false +ve might increase)
Avast (Avast AV one of the most popular free AV around. It's also light on the system with a lot of goodies)

Firewall
Zonealarm (though i find it heavy on a system with less than a gig of ram, tried it on a pc with 1 gb ram with xp was a bummer, though i won't say it was really slow it had some noticeable impact on the system)
Just my opinion, you might find it light on your system

Privatefirewall : http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html (Though i have yet to try it out on a old system i find it work's really smooth on my win 7 system which has only 2 gigs of ram)

P.S. If you have some spare USB flash drive around, you can use them to make a kick start flash drive for Hitman Pro and Emsisoft Emergency Kit. You can alos make a Xubuntu (Ubuntu distribution which uses Xfce which awesome for older system since it's very light on the system) / Pupply linux Live CD / USB for surfing / bankin. Though the latter is a bit confusing (Puppy Linux)

eraldi

Mar 9, 2013
obada321 said:
Hello there

How are you

I have a problem with the internet security

I try many put all make the computer slow

the computer requirements

Ram 894 mb

I wait your ideas

please help the computer now without anti virus
best for you it's eset smart security 4

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
I would recommend using MSE + Zone Alarm Firewall + Sandboxie (for browser).
Base on these reasons
1. Your security knowledge and experienced using advanced security products.
2. Your minimum PC specs.
3. Your browsing habit.

Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus is a great solution for your current status.
Give it a try before you decide to buy it.

Before installing, please run an on-demand scanners like Malwarebytes since you have no antivirus protection.

Thanks. :D

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
My 2 cents (inflation adjusted): Avira AV Free Edition (AV only, not the suite) with factory settings (light as a feather).

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/AntiVir-Personal-Edition.shtml

Add Sandboxie for any time the kiddies or old folks click away the result of their sloppy surfing will be contained for sure.
Set Sandboxie to "delete contents of sandbox upon closing" and "drop administrator rights"
You might opt for "quick recovery" as well, which is for when you want to release a download (one you know is legit) from Sandboxie's virtual environment.
Set up Sandboxie so that all of your browsers open sandboxed when the rest of the users click on Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc., as to surf with your PC.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_sandboxie/

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.