Advice Request What's easier to use than an Authenticator app?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For most people, using an Authenticator app can be an additional nuisance;

1. Unlock Phone.
2. Launch Authenticator app.
3. Passcode / Biometric to Unlock
4. Find Code (or wait for new codes to generate).
5. Enter code into App / website.

Is there any easier way to authorise?

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
To add some alternative competitors to YubiKey
  1. Nitrokey
  2. SoloKeys
  3. OnlyKey
Including YubiKey they have different models to accommodate different situations. Think of USB-C instead of USB-A, or NFC support and so on. Most of them have an backup feature, so you arent locked out completely. It's similar to using a usb. If you don't backup the data you lose it when it breaks, the same goes for these universal FIDO keys.

Since its passwords and stuff, back it up regularly and replace the key (and import) when it gets damaged accidentally.

Edit: Regardless of manufacturer they are all based on the FIDO principle. A start would be to read into the FIDO Alliance

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
It was more of an example. You need to find one that's specific to your use-case. If you're traveling alot, most mobile devices and notebooks these days (not all) use USB-C. Making that more desirable. if you prefer NFC, there is a model for that too and so on.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I never use NFC, that's the point. Why buy a product if it's an extra nuisance?

Can the USB-C key be used on USB-A with a compatible dongle?
If you never used NFC, then you'd most likely won't use the NFC model. NFC is a separate model thus far amongst all fido manufacturers. I have never had an issue with a dongle, but Yubikey and Nitrokey have an page for compatibility for usb dongle's. I am not sure how the hardware works around that part myself to be entirely honest.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I think the purpose of an Authenticator app is not convenience, it's security.
As an example, Microsoft Authenticator with the Microsoft Account, the steps are far easier.
1. Unlock Phone
2. Launch app via it's Notification
3. Tap Approve or select [Digits] – occasional biometric required.

Security does not have to be a nuisance as Microsoft has done with it's password-less system, there is zero requirements to enter a code, or wait for it generate.
For most people, using an Authenticator app can be an additional nuisance;

1. Unlock Phone.
2. Launch Authenticator app.
3. Passcode / Biometric to Unlock
4. Find Code (or wait for new codes to generate).
5. Enter code into App / website.

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
If you're like me, who really prefers PC, who only uses the phone when not at home, Authenticator app is really annoying. I don't even keep my phone in the same room as the PC.
Most websites offer you a choice to use email verification instead of Authenticator app.
If you use very long, randomly generated passwords, you'll be fine just using your email for two-step verification.

Last edited:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I read the linked article and am now curious as to how it will be known that it is me when typing on a full size keyboard and while tapping a phone screen. On a traditional PC keyboard I can knock out several hundred characters per minute, on a small phone screen using one index finger my typing most certainly has very different characteristics and is very significantly slower.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.