Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Facebook patched a critical WhatsApp vulnerability that would have allowed potential attackers to read files from a user's local file system, on both macOS and Windows platforms.

"A vulnerability in WhatsApp Desktop when paired with WhatsApp for iPhone allows cross-site scripting and local file reading," Facebook's security advisory explains. "Exploiting the vulnerability requires the victim to click a link preview from a specially crafted text message."

All WhatsApp Desktop versions before v0.3.9309 are affected by this issue when paired with WhatsApp for iPhone versions prior to 2.20.10.

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
Back in 2017, while I was traveling in Peru, I found a security flaw that Check Point published a few months later. That flaw was simple. In the words of Check Point’s researchers in this article published in 2018, it allowed an attacker to “alter the text of someone else’s reply, essentially putting words in their mouth.”

It was cool, but back then I couldn’t come up with any idea of further exploiting the flaw or finding related flaws. So except for trolling my friends a couple of times in our group chat, I kind of let it go.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.