Which Firefox is right for you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
The browser market moves at a hectic pace these days, and so while a month ago most people were happily using Firefox 5, Mozilla has released Firefox 6, Firefox 7 beta, Firefox 8 Aurora, and even Firefox 9 via the Nightly channel.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, most of the changes are internal and will make little immediate difference to most people. We ran a few benchmarks on the various builds, for instance, and found Firefox 9 had around a 4 percent lead over Firefox 6, but otherwise the performance of Firefox 7, 8 and 9 proved very similar.

What’s the best build for you, then? Here’s what you need to know.

Link: http://betanews.com/2011/08/19/which-firefox-is-right-for-you-6-7-8-or-9/

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I prefer to stay with stable releases but sometimes a feature in nightly builds attracts me and I play around with nightly builds for awhile. For example the about:permissions page was available in nightly builds since May, I think.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I really like the stable since bugs were squashed out and issues are solved.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I just have one addon not yet updated to FF6; it is cocoon.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Nightly channel, I like being the first to experience the new features and test them.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I use Chrome as my primary browser, so I like to stick with the Nightly versions.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Right now I'm using FF 6 (Stable) ......and as far as I can remember starting with FF 5 you could change the release channel just by going to "About Firefox" ...but in my FF 6 I can't find that option anywhere....It was removed or ??

BTW how stable are the nightly builds?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    315.9 KB · Views: 539

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
The feature has been removed:
I think the channel switching UI isn't likely to be useful to enough users to outweigh the costs (confusing shortcut/app inconsistencies after channel switches, code complexity, testing burden, etc.)
(source)

I guess you have to download one of the releases and install it:

As for stability: Beta > Aurora > Nightly... so even if nightly builds are not crashing on you they are still "for testing purposes only".

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
I just have one addon not yet updated to FF6; it is cocoon.

updating firefox addon is really easy if you want the addon just give me the link i'll update it for ya :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
House_maniac said:
updating firefox addon is really easy if you want the addon just give me the link i'll update it for ya :)

thanks but i installed Nightly v9 (FF9) and disable the addon chec so all my addon runs fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.