Battle Which Is The Best Antivirus/ Internet Security 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akash209

Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2013
Hello, friends...
Today I would like to know your opinion on which do you think is the best Antivirus/ Internet Security 2012?

Which product do you prefer, and why?
  1. Overall Features?
  2. Detection?
  3. Removal?
  4. HIPS?
  5. File Rating
  6. User Interface?
  7. RAM Usage?
  8. CPU Usage?
  9. Etc (anything else you may want to add)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
sarahmsarah said:
I use Unthreat Antivirus. You haven't mentioned it here - maybe because it's as well known but I really think it's just as good as the other antiviruses (not to mention it's free!). Maybe you should check it out?

Heard about this, but never really knew how good it is. I'm sure someone did a review on it somewhere.

Akash209

Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2013
McLovin said:
sarahmsarah said:
I use Unthreat Antivirus. You haven't mentioned it here - maybe because it's as well known but I really think it's just as good as the other antiviruses (not to mention it's free!). Maybe you should check it out?

Heard about this, but never really knew how good it is. I'm sure someone did a review on it somewhere.

why not you review your next review station in YouTube..?

maaster

Level 1
Aug 5, 2012
I have tried 3 among them
1)ESET Smart security
2)Kaspersky internet security
3)Bitdefender internet security

Overall Features
Online banking is there in kaspersky and BD.
HIPS is there in Kasperky and ESET.
IDS is there in BD.
Social network protection is there in BD and eset.
Here Kaspersky scores than the other 2 because it has anti-banner and some other features.u can use adblock for antibanner !
Bitdefender has more or less same features to that of kaspersky...More features are available in total security
ESET does not have extra features sticking to its legendary antivirus and firewall...facebook protection is a new feature in version 6.
Overall Features=>Kaspersky>Bitdefender>ESET

Detection
Here Bitdefender is the run away winner:)kaspersky comes second but just...But ESET somewhat lags behind but it doesn't matter because it is upto industry standards.
Detection=>Bitdefender>Kaspersky>ESET

Removal
All the 3 are good at removing what they detected..with some malwares kaspersky and eset required system restarts but I didn't find anything with BD.
One time ESET was unable to remove a adware although it detected it...It kept on downloading something...
Removal=>Bitdefender>=Kaspersky>ESET

HIPS
Kaspersky's HIPS is the best among the three:bravo:
BD does not have HIPS and ESET's HIPS must be trained to make it fully effective
HIPS=>Kaspersky>ESET

File Rating
Kasperky and ESET have file rating from the cloud but BD does not have this...Kaspersky's file rating is better than ESET
Cloud=>Kaspersky>ESET
I think BD uses cloud for URL scans and quick scans

User Interface
ESET-very simple
Kaspersky-attractive
Bitdefender-in between attrative and simple:lol:
I think attractive interface of kaspersky makes the users attracted to kaspersky!;)

RAM Usage & CPU Usage
I do not know about the correct figures
Some say ESET occupies more RAM..about 100 MB of RAM but it does not feel heavy on the system at all
At the time of typing this all services of BD occupied only 20 MB of RAM! but I feel that it is still heavier than ESET
About Kaspersky...Heaviest I used in my lifetime...It will take minutes to startup and during full you can turn off the display and sleep...You can't do anything while a full scan is run!
Usage=>ESET<BIitdefender<<<<<Kaspersky

Support
If one make a complaint with the support all the 3 will respond within a day!
Kaspersky's forums are very active compared to other 2.
ESET's forums ->inactive
BD's forums->very inactive [only one moderator is there to moderate the entire forum and he will not reply to every posts:dodgy:)
BD compensates this with their live chat support which is available 24*7 and they are really helpful:fan_1:

Overall
Kaspersky is very heavy.use only in latest systems with high configurations..
BD was buggy...but now miraculously all problems are solved:exclamation:
ESET has slightly less detection rates but system friendly...

I can't vote in the poll because I have not tried others...

Among the three I will go with BD (lighter and with best detection rates)

Can someone from the testing and reviews group test these 3 for proactive detection and zero day threats detection and removal??:eek:fftopic:

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
If I were to use a traditional suite, I would entertain F-Secure and back it up with Threatfire BB. That should be pretty simple, light and extremely effective.

P

Plexx

If it is Internet Security strictly in 2012 versions, then Comodo Internet Security (5.10/5.12). Best of both worlds: Decent AV, light and powerful prevention. You could go a bit more hardcore and pair it up with Mamutu or Gnosis TF.

To be honest the only few Internet Securities that never impacted on gaming on my end were ESS (tho the firewall is problematic at times), WSA, CIS, McAfee SaaS Endpoint (with firewall enabled) and that about it for me.

If we are to talk about AV's in 2012 versions: CAV with D+, WSA, avast! (specific builds), EAV and McAfee SaaS Endpoint version (Firewall disabled).

All the above were taken into consideration in a gaming environment.

If no gaming environment is to be considered, simply any light AV would do the trick, even MSE since infections are non existent, minimal protection is required.

Note that this post applies to my personal experience only.

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Best AV in terms of Detection
BD>Kaspersky>F-Secure/ G-Data (Avast/ Bitdefender AV Engine) / Norton / Avira / Eset / Avast / Vipre

IS 2012 (Free)
CIS 5 / ZoneAlarm AV + FW (Depends on what you need if you just need a plain straight forward firewall Zonealarm is for you. If you want more flexibility and HIPS CIS is for you)

IS 2012 (Paid)
KIS > BIS > Eset / F-Secure / G-Data / Norton / Avast / Avira / Vipre

GUI
Eset > Fsecure > KIS > Avast > Avira > Norton > G-Data

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
As i had used 4 of them
  • ESET Smart Security v6
  • Kaspersky Internet Security 2013
  • Comodo Internet Security v6
  • Norton Internet Security v6

Overall Features: Comodo > Kaspersky > Norton > ESET

Comodo & Kaspersky has BB.
ESET, Comodo & Kaspersky has HIPS.
All of them have File Reputation.
ESET & Norton has Social Networking Protection.
Kaspersky & Comodo has Sandbox.
Comodo & Kaspersky has Banking Mode.

Detection:
Kaspersky > Norton = ESET = Comodo
Kaspersky has the highest Detection & Norton, ESET & Comodo as nearly equal detecion.

Prevention:
Comodo > Norton > Kaspersky > ESET
I think Comodo has a bit better prevention as compared to Norton.

Removal:
Norton > Comodo > Kaspersky > ESET
Removal of Norton & Comodo is too good as compared to that of Kaspersky & ESET.

HIPS:
Comodo > Kaspersky > ESET
Comodo HIPS are too as compared to that of Kaspersky & ESET.

File Rating:
Norton > Kaspersky > Comodo = ESET
Norton is highly dependent on the File Reputation.
Comodo & ESET has a not much good File Reputation

User Interface:
Comodo = ESET > Norton > Kaspersky
Comodo & ESET has very easy UI as compared to that of Norton & Kaspersky.

RAM & CPU Usage:
Comodo is the lightest suite. ESET has a high ram (100MB) usage but not at all slow down the PC. Kaspersky & Norton have not much ram usage but high CPU usage.

Etc (anything else you may want to add)
1. Kaspersky slows down the PC
2. Norton does not slows down the PC but Norton usually freezes.

I had written all the above content as of my Personal Experience. So if you think i am wrong please tell me.

As if i need to choose after reading all this then i will choose ESET & Comodo.
Why i will choose Comodo?
I will choose Comodo because of its ZeroDay protection is too good as compared to that of the all the antivirus in the market. if we Tweaked the Comodo in a good way than the Comodo could give protection nearly 98%. (Because No one can 100% perfect)

Why i will choose ESET?
As in all the features ESET is basically last but than also if you ever test ESET Smart Security you will find a very good result. Just the ESET need to improve is its Zero-Day Protection & its Removal Capabilities.

glib2007

Jan 3, 2012
Hi, I am using a combination of Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition and Comodo Firewall plus MBAM Pro. I had no issues encountered so far. I just love this combo. I don't need to worry about date of expiration of subscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.