Which recovery software are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumination

Exactly, if the file becomes corrupted during deletion, none of the above will be able to recover it properly, it is always best to just make back ups..

Reactions: WinXPert

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I don't like software like Deep Freeze, Toolwiz Time Freeze, Restore RX...
It's like "I don't go outside, the roof tile will fall off the building and kill me"
Just do a regular backup of important data and keep it on external drive or somewhere in the cloud...

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I keep all my important files,pics,music,ect. as well as a list of my important installed programs along with serial & license keys on an external drive which I update regularly. If something happens with the OS I just do a clean install and reinstall everything.

Reactions: BoraMurdar

aliloxton

Verified
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah you are right.
Sometimes none of them will be able to recover lost files, that is why it is important to keep a backup of your files.
Invest in a good backup software or learn how to setup Windows backup feature (which does a good job), make sure that you use a trusted external hard drive to keep your backups.

Thanks. :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't use any recovery software as such, but I do keep multiple copies of my personal files (cloud, offline, local). I also keep the OS installation disc in my laptop's DVD drive, but ejected.

samanthawho

Sep 24, 2013
I have to agree with @Earth on this ; I myself also use multiple methods to backup my personal files. The software I've learned to adopt throughout the years is Genie9, love their Genie timline products , and I'm also using their Cloud product called Zoolz for home purposes.
Cool stuff, definitely recommended.

D

Deleted member 178

all my backup softs are on bootable USB and i save the system archive on several places , (ExHDD, etc...)

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Upto a year back i used to install all my third party apps on a separate drive, accidentally i deleted the system as well as that installation drive. Luckily i had the back up of the system drive which i restored from the Image, but not of the drive on which i would install my third party apps.

I used Kroll Ontrack, which recovered the whole 40Gb of the drive, the best part was that i had huge games installed as well on that drive.
I had to re-install nothing, all i did was just copy paste the whole drive and my system was as smooth as ever :D

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I have Deep Freeze restore software on machine no need to worry about deleted data or system crash or malware/ virus attack. Simple restart will restore my system back as like original. You can try it.
It can save you Operating System but it cannot save your accidentally deleted or formatted data on non-system partition(s)[as I'm aware]
These kind of software are like "Advanced System Restore" but not like Data Recovery Software(s).

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I use Recuva on accidentally deleted documents. Last time I used it was on a malware sample. If it's an installer I have backup, if it's a small file I just download it again. I have Dropbox, Google Drive, DVDs and external drive backups.

Reactions: Littlebits

songoku316

Level 6
Verified
Jul 25, 2014
best freeware software for me recuva and best shareware stellar phoenix windows data recovery

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
If Windows backup counts, that's what I use. As for personal files, I use Dropbox and Trend Micro Safe Sync.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
There's usually three software I give a shot to when I come accross a such situation :
  • Recuva by Piriform;
  • EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard by EaseUS;
  • GetDataBackNTFS;
Recuva is so/so. It works well sometimes, but sometimes it can also recover a single file on a whole HDD that hasn't been formatted, so it's really situation-specific.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard recovers a lot of data when you use it, however the free version only allows you to recover max 1GBs of file. Also, I had a situation last week where I used it to recover data on a crashed HDD and it retrieved 150GBs of data (on a 320GBs HDD, impressive no ?) However, most of these files were videos, multimedia files. And the person whose HDD belongs too said that he doesn't recall having any media file on that HDD or even used that much media files on there. So the question is : were these files really present on the HDD, or was it just a fake to convince us to buy the product to recover the files ?
GetDataBackNTFS is one of the best in my opinion. It managed to recover hundreds of files on a HDD that was totally inaccessible and that had been dropped from a few feet high on the ground. That's really impressive if you ask me. Also, if you Google "GetDataBackNTFS Portable", you'll have the paid version of GetDataBackNTFS in a portable application, without having to activate it or buy it. It's just creat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.