Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Hi,

I have had Avast 8 Internet Security (paid) and my subscription is up for renewal shortly.

I recently tested Bitdefender which seemed OK and currently have Comodo Internet Security 6 free version on test which is light on resources, has quite a lot of features and TrustConnect is available in the paid version with a monthly limit of 10Gb. Comodo gets my vote at the moment.

The only other security i run at the moment is MBAM Pro and SandboxIE for web browsers and testing programs (not AV suites though)

I am obviously looking to have minimum resources tied up with security but at the same time deliver solid performance. In addition I would like a VPN running and Sandboxing facilities which I can have with SandboxIE.

Any guidance to help improve the set-up would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
You have given/selected good choices in option and you can rely on any of this software you mentioned above.Its upon you which you find suitable for your need and pocket.

The Cons of Comodo is that its not for general home user and neither its reliable in case of privacy.(No bashing please,you can read about this fact in many forums)

For free Products you can go with:

Avast Free + Sandboxie Free + Malwarebytes Free + Windows Firewall (Can also choose windows firewall control which is also free)==== The Best Free Security Setup.

OR

CIS 6 + Malwarebytes Free

If you want to pay buy Avast IS and I do not suggest anyone to spend money to buy comodo products

Thanks

Neumann

May 15, 2013
Bitdefender and Avast are the top free AVs. They are over-rated. Read this report:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/avc_prot_201304en.pdf

Meanwhile, if you are willing to pay for protection, get Kaspersky Internet Security instead.

Whichever AV you finally choose, add in the pro version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or SUPERAntiSpyware and you can sleep well.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nikos751 said:
It's a doubt if these testing sites are reliable so it's better to talk by general experience I suppose.

Agreed. If you rely on these sites, you will never find out what AV is right for you.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I am really pleased to hear all of the rational suggestions. It is nice to know people can come hear and get effective, yet simple solutions.

Detection is one thing, but what about cleaning and repairing the computer after the damage is complete by
the virus. Which one would you use then?

Easy answer:

HITMAN PRO (forced breach mode or "kickstart" from USB), DR. WEB CUREIT, MBAM or MBAR

Alternative answer:

Sandboxed/Virtualized will keep you out of that scenario

A nice follow-up would be if you can acquire a free scan from Emsisoft. I am thinking that they have a free online scanner. If so, you could run it after those three I mentioned for piece-of-mind. Actually, HitMan Pro has their engine, so it should be sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.