Advice Request Which tune up utillity do you use?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Never used anything and no worse off for it, especially would not use any program that automates cleaning registry entries. That's just asking for Trouble IMHO
I occasionally do a manual cleanup of the temp folders but not without examining what's there first. You can often glean important info about a program from what it leaves behind in temp.
Not for everyone but that's just how I roll.

L

LabZero

Thread author
I use Kerish Doctor and CCleaner.
But most of the time I work in the VM, then it doesn't make sense using them.
I agree that some optimizers, if used indiscriminately can cause serious damage, so need to have an updated system image if you want to do experiments.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
i don't use any optimization/tune up tools. They are offering lots of "useful"/"very necessary" features. And i think for an average PC user: this sounds very good . But i could not find a single clear recommendation for these tools in a forum. So i would say: it's very risky to use them. I found this POST from one of the moderators of bleepingcomputer.com. It's about "PC Booster/Tune Up" programs. A short quote from this POST:

Hi splungee
smile.png

"PC Booster/Tune Up" programs are part of the worst programs you can install on a system. When it comes to messing up your system (Windows), these are as worst as malware. They are completely worthless and useless to use. The worst is that they'll often take action on your system without you knowing, nor authorizing it, which could lead to your system being altered in a way you don't want it to be or even worst, a "broke" system. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Here's a few examples:
  • Cleaning temporary files: TFC (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Cleanmgr.exe (built-in);
  • Managing start-up entries: Autoruns (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Task Manager and Registry Editor (built-in);
  • Driver Updater: Not needed, all you need is to go on your manufacturer website so you'll be sure to get the right, official, working drivers for your computer or hardware;
  • Registry Cleaner/Defragger: Completely useless and also dangerous;
  • Disk Defragging: Disk Defrag (built-in), O&O Disk Defrag (installed), Defraggler (installed);
  • Powerful uninstaller: Not needed, only needed when you have to make sure a program is completely uninstalled. Revo Uninstaller and GeekUninstaller are two good alternatives;
  • "Enhanced" Task Manager: ProcExp from Sysinternals Suite (standalone executable), Process Hacker (portable or installed);
  • "Active security": Any Antivirus and Antimalware can beat that, easily. These programs aren't made to replace Antivirus or Antimalware products and shouldn't be seen as such;
  • Repair bad sectors on a hard drive: Simple chkdsk /r command under Windows (built-in);

This POST also contains 3 links/articles that explain why Pc boostes/optimizers are useless.

Last edited:

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I used almost all the tune up programs when i was using XP.
Now with Win7, i only use ccleaner, wise care & auslogics diskdefrag pro.
Most of my tuning is done manually plus i use AHK to automate the process.

PS: These programs don't do anything, just a piece of mind that my system is running smoothly with them on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.