Which type of files can i exclude during scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter7110

Thread author
May 27, 2013
I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 installed and when i run virus scan i see that it is scanning files that can't contain viruses like image, audio and video files. I want to exclude some type of files like these from scanning:

.mp3
.avi
.txt
.css
.pdf
.csv
.gif
.jpg

Is it safe to do so? I guess these type of files can not contain viruses.

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
Don’t exclude File types, exclude folders.

When you exclude a filename or file extension, you are telling your antivirus software to completely ignore those files anywhere on your system, which could cause a security problem.

It’s a much better bet to exclude a particular folder that you know is safe.

peter7110

Thread author
May 27, 2013
It is not possible to exclude folders. I have lots of folders and these folders have different type of files inside them - executable, image, document files.

I don't understand what security problem can cause excluding image and audio files from scan?

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
peter7110 said:
It is not possible to exclude folders. I have lots of folders and these folders have different type of files inside them - executable, image, document files.

In Kaspersky ?
Didn't know that?
Read this:
http://support.kaspersky.com/6263

If you want to exclude the folder for any/all threat types, only tick "Objects" and do not tick "Threat Type" (threat type is if you want to exclude only a certain detection).
Of-course, you would need to tick "Include Subfolders".

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
You can safely exclude files which doesn't contain binary data (.txt, .css, .csv etc). Many cloud Anti viruses works this way. I would only recommend excluding files meant for interpretation (.py, .pdf, .docx, etc) if you have a behavior blocker or equivalent type system in place, as these files can contain exploits.

If excluding will actually yield any improvements performance wise is entirely up to the AV.

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
peter7110 said:
I don't understand what security problem can cause excluding image and audio files from scan?

Ok...if you're sure that these files aren't infected that's ok.
I'm talking about on demand scan.

But it depends on where you get your music from and perhaps on what security products you were using when you downloaded the vast majority of the music keeping in mind no AV or spyware scanner is 100%.

Remember that mp3 and music files can be modified by virus.

http://www.prevx.com/blog/98/GetCodecA-says-hello-to-multimedia-files.html

peter7110

Thread author
May 27, 2013
Nedim said:
peter7110 said:

In Kaspersky ?
Didn't know that?
Read this:
http://support.kaspersky.com/6263

If you want to exclude the folder for any/all threat types, only tick "Objects" and do not tick "Threat Type" (threat type is if you want to exclude only a certain detection).
Of-course, you would need to tick "Include Subfolders".

I mean that excluding folders is not a practical solution for me because i have lots of folders. I guess i will exclude image and document files and leave audio files though i never heard about pc infected by .mp3 file.

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
peter7110 said:
I mean that excluding folders is not a practical solution for me because i have lots of folders. I guess i will exclude image and document files and leave audio files though i never heard about pc infected by .mp3 file.

Ok then.Fair enough.The choice is yours...just wanted to express my opinion and tried to help you.

Have a nice day Peter.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello Peter,
Like iPanik said, you can exclude some types of files from scanning, however this won't help much, as Kaspersky File Scanner by default will only scan the new and recently modified files.
1dsa3xc.jpg

If you really want to increase the performance of the scanner, I would suggest that you set the File Anti-Virus feature to "Low". What this means is that Kaspersky will scan the files by the extensions.
W3QvMNT.jpg

If you have selected Files scanned by extension as virus scan objects, File Anti-Virus or a virus scan task scans the files with the extensions listed below for viruses.

Extension - Type of file

ASP - Active Server Pages script.
BAT - Batch file.
BIN - Binary file.
CHM -Compiled HTML file.
CLA -Java class.
CMD -Command file for Microsoft Windows NT (similar to a bat file for DOS), OS/2.
COM - Executable file for a program no larger than 64 KB.
CPL - Microsoft Windows control panel module.
DLL - Dynamic link library.

DOC* - Microsoft Office Word document, for example:
DOC – Microsoft Office Word document;
DOCX – Microsoft Office Word 2007 document with XML support;
DOCM – Microsoft Office Word 2007 document with macro support.

DOT* -Microsoft Office Word document template, for example:
DOT – Microsoft Office Word document template;
DOTX – Microsoft Office Word 2007 document template;

DOTM – Microsoft Office Word 2007 document template with macro support.
DPL - Compressed Borland Delphi library.
DRV - Driver for a device.
DWG -AutoCAD drawing database.
EMF - Enhanced Metafile format file. Next generation of Microsoft Windows OS metafiles. EMF files are not supported by 16-bit Microsoft Windows.
EML - Microsoft Outlook Express email message.
EXE - Executable file or self-extracting archive.
FPM - Database program, Microsoft Visual FoxPro start file.
HLP - Win Help file.
HTA -Hypertext program for Microsoft Internet Explorer.
HTM - Hypertext document.
HTT - Microsoft Windows hypertext header.
ICO - Object icon file.
INI - Initialization file.
JPG, JPEG
Compressed image graphics format.

JS, JSE - JavaScript source text.

LNK - Microsoft Windows link file.

MBX - Extension for saved Microsoft Office Outlook email.

MD- Microsoft Office Access documents and files, such as:
MDA – Microsoft Office Access workgroup;
MDB – database.

MSG - Microsoft Mail email message
MSI - Microsoft Windows Installer packet.
NWS - New Microsoft Outlook Express email message.
OCX - Microsoft OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) object.
OTM - VBA project for Microsoft Office Outlook.
OV? - MS Word executable files.
PDF - Adobe Acrobat document.
PHP - Script integrated into HTML file.
PHT - HTML file with integrated PHP scripts.
HTML - file with integrated PHP scripts.
PIF - Program information file
PLL - Email message.
PNG -Bitmap graphic file after lossless compression.
PP* - Microsoft Office PowerPoint documents and files, such as: PPS – Microsoft Office PowerPoint slide;
PPT – presentation;
PPTX – Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 presentation;
PPTM – Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 presentation with macro support;
POTX – Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 presentation template;
POTM – Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 presentation template with macro support;
PPSX – Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 slide show;
PPSM – Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 slide show with macro support;
PPAM – Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 plug-in with macro support.

PRG - Program text for dBase, Clipper or Microsoft Visual FoxPro, or a WAVmaker program.
REG - Microsoft Windows system register key registration file.
RTF - Document in Rich Text Format.
SCR - Microsoft Windows splash screen file.
SLDX - Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 slide.
SLDM - Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 slide with macro support.
SHS - Shell Scrap Object Handler fragment.
SWF - Shockwave Flash packet object.
SYS - System file.
THEM - Microsoft Windows 95 desktop wallpaper file.
THMX - Microsoft Office 2007 theme.
TSP - Program running in split-time mode.
VBE - BIOS video extension.
VBS - Visual Basic script.
VXD - Microsoft Windows virtual device driver.
WSF - Microsoft Windows script.
WSH -Microsoft Windows Script Host file.
XL*
Microsoft Office Excel documents and files, such as:

XLA – Microsoft Office Excel extension;
XLC – diagram, XLT – document template;
XLSX – Microsoft Office Excel 2007 workbook;
XLTM – Microsoft Office Excel 2007 workbook with macro support;
XLSB – Microsoft Office Excel 2007 workbook in binary (not XML) format;
XLTX – Microsoft Office Excel 2007 template;
XLSM – Microsoft Office Excel 2007 template with macro support;
XLAM – Microsoft Office Excel 2007 plug-in with macro support.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 is a suite which will allow you to perform a lot of tweaks. To improve the performance, you can also try some of the below tweaks:

1. Enable 'Concede resources to other applications'
When Kaspersky Internet Security runs scan tasks, this may result in increased workload on the CPU and disk subsystems, which impacts other applications' performance. By default, if such a situation arises, Kaspersky Internet Security pauses virus scan tasks and releases system resources for the user's applications.
yw9Udpc.jpg

2. Uncheck "Perform regular rootkit scans"
While running regular scans for malware is advised, I noticed that Kaspersky will "Perform regular rootkit scans" at my computer startup, slowing down for up to 10 minutes.
I would advise you to uncheck this feature, and instead perform regular manual scans for malware.
WUKncaQ.jpg

What are you computer specifications? Are you experiencing any major slow downs with KIS 2013 installed?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my suggestion, for safety reasons scanning all threat types isn't bad at all caused when viruses mutated, innocent files were replaced by double extensions.

peter7110

Thread author
May 27, 2013
Thanks, for the information. What are the best settings under File Anti Virus>Settings>Additional?

Also, when performing idle scan will it scan only new and modified files?

My laptop specifications are: Intel Dual CPU 1.60GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows XP

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Your computer specs are decent enough, and you should be able to run KIS 2013 without any major slowdown.
Here are the Kaspersky Internet Security scan modes described:
Smart mode - This mode is aimed at speeding up file processing and return them to the user. When it is selected, a decision to scan is made based on analyzing the operations performed with the file. For example, when using a Microsoft Office file, Kaspersky Anti-Virus scans the file when it is first opened and last closed. All operations in between that overwrite the file are not scanned.
On access or modification – File Anti-Virus scans files as they are opened or edited.
On access – only scans files when an attempt is made to open them.
On execution – only scans files when an attempt is made to run them.

Opting for "On execution", would give you the biggest performance, however Kaspersky will scan the files only before they are executed, so you will lower a bit your security.

peter7110 said:
Also, when performing idle scan will it scan only new and modified files?
No, the Idle and On-demand scan, will scan all your files and folders.
Here is how this process works:
At the first step, Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 checks the anti-virus databases and application modules release date. The update process is run only If the application databases are out of date.

Immediately after update, the application runs the scan task applied to startup objects, system memory and system partition.

If you resume the computer usage, the application pauses the update process or computer scan. The application remembers the stage at which the scan task has been paused, and resumes the scan process from that stage.

If the anti-virus databases update process has been interrupted, next time, the application restarts update.

peter7110

Thread author
May 27, 2013
So, if "Scan only new and changed files" option is checked on Custom and Full scans and after i run on-demand scan, Kaspersky updates its database the next scan will scan all files and folders not only new and changed files even if the option is checked. Correct?

Yesterday, i ran custom scan for the first time on My documents folder. It took about one hour and "Scan only new and changed files" was checked. Today i run the same scan on My documents and i expected the time to be less but it took even a little longer. My update settings are set to every day in 00.00 AM, so Kaspersky has updated its database between the two scans and i suppose today it scanned all files and folders again because of the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.