Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The paranoid one

Thread author
About six or seven years ago I discovered Linux, :cool: with it, I come and go for seasons, delusion and disappointment for days. However, for my Windows has been like a wife that I have occasionally cheated with Linux, a fresher, more smiling and demanding woman, but a really nice company. ;)

For some time now I've been getting more and more into Linux, for example now, as I write, I realize that I've been working for a week without opening Windows 10 and far from startling, it causes me a cold indifference.

I use more or less the same programs as any, I take fewer resources on my computer, the only thing I have not liked much is about the antivirus.
I'm too used to having one and now I feel a bit naked. I have been using Sophos for two months, to realize that it has not really influenced anything in my system, it has been a futile installation.

I could install Clam AV, but seriously, who would trust a clam to protect himself or his computer? I can not think of any situation in which I should rely on the protection of a clam. :eek:o_O :p

There are other options, but I do not really need them.
I'm sure that the configuration of my computer is very similar to that of many of you.
I have 100% legal and free software, I control all connections both incoming and outgoing, my firewall is configured as "always deny" and I create rules very simply manually, although, as with Sophos, I think I will return to a more logical mind state and trust the default rules, ie, deny all incoming connections.

Simply, in case you are curious, here I leave you my current configuration

And you? Have you hugged the penguin?

Xubuntu 16.04.2 LTS with
  • WPS Office
  • Orage Calendar
  • XnView MP
  • GIMP
  • Shotwell
  • Qbittorrent
  • Google Chrome
  • Opera
  • Mozilla Firefox
  • Nylas Mail
  • Firejail
  • Clementine
  • Kodi
  • VLC
  • Audacity
  • BleachBit
And lots of little specific tools for everything you can think of

V2sQFObl.png
[/url][/IMG]
V2sQFObl.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I've used Ubuntu, Kali Linux & Arch Linux in College time. Currently I've the beautiful ElementaryOS installed alongside Win10.
Regarding the AV part, it can be difficult to even get comfortable with one, since unlike Windows, you'll hardly get to see them in action in Linux distros.
Some control aspects of AVs, restriction-based or security-sandbox modules (like Firejail) and firewall are some good things for aspiring power users to try.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
because it is more fun with the theme of Malware.
I can definitely relate to this! But this curiosity cycle lasts only until you suspect some infection on your machine & your AV is like "No man, I'm telling ya. Everything's fine, I've always had an eye on your stuff. Peace." And then you call the herd...

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
No, I prefer to keep my sanity. :)

However, for my Windows has been like a wife that I have occasionally cheated with Linux, a fresher, more smiling and demanding woman, but a really nice company. ;)
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

My Windows has never betrayed me, it might not be perfect, but it is reliable and does what it is expected.

212eta

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
May 11, 2011
I've tried it, but didn't like it:
* Poor Driver-support (= Hardware-incompatibility) was one reason.
* "Sudo this ~ Sudo that" (= Typing commands for even simple tasks...) was another reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.