Question Why do scammers use AnyDesk, and should it be flagged by Antivirus software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does AnyDesk do enough to protect their users? Is it really used by millions of genuine customers?
AnyDesk is used legitimately by millions of IT professionals worldwide, to remotely connect to their clients' devices to help with technical issues. However, scammers can try to misuse AnyDesk (or any other remote access software) to connect to your computer and steal data, access codes, and even money.
Read more: AnyDesk: How to Avoid Remote Access Scams

Should remote access software be flagged as PUA?
PUA = Potentially Unwanted Application

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Remote Access Software (RAS) can be handy even for home users, TeamViewer in my case for maintenance some computers from my family members, sometimes there is just a problem to understand software and so it takes a few minutes to help those people. I don't have to drive always a long tour for the job.

Of course, the downside, RAS are risky software that can be abused by cyber-criminals.

Regardless, I would say NO for AVs detection as PUA, even otherwise it's no problem for me to handle, but that wouldn't be safe for average PC users ;)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
The point of a remote access software is to be easy to use, because it is mostly used by people, who do not know any better. Can it be abused, of course, what can not these days?!
I could imagine RAS to provide Verified badge for reputable tech support, but then again, most people would not know about it, unless RAS would give a straight warning at each launch.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I wouldn't block or flag the software per se. I'd rather add ability in AV software to warn user when launches the remote desktop software (AnyDesk, TeamViewer...) that it could be used for scam and become victim of one. And obviously add something like "if the person you don't know offers you help remotely and ask you for remote desktop data, don't share it".

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Anydesk no, because it can be automatic blocked during for example genuine banking sessions, and some AVs already has that clever feature implemented by default.

Do you mean something like this?

f secure block remote access.jpg

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
AnyDesk is the go-to app for scammers to use. However a common method is for the victim to be asked to actually go to their bank, withdraw money directly there and mail it to some Mule somewhere. An alternative is to have the victim acquire and mail Gift cards. Both methods will bypass any intrinsic AnyDesk protection.

The one danger for the Scammer is that (as you guys know) AnyDesk is a 2 way street, and in the hands of certain folk the Scammers system can be hijacked and all sorts of fun stuff can ensue (fun for me, at least).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.