Advice Request Why do you browse faster on Mac than on Windows?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Okay I may or may not be actually raging at my PC for this.

I bought a Mac a few days ago. i5, RAM 8GB, SSD... And I have my Windows PC. i7, 16GB, SSD...

I literally type a website on Safari (Mac) and gets instantly connected. Literally.
I literally type a website on Chrome (Windows) and it takes 2-8 seconds to finish loading it.

Same internet connection.

How on earth is this achieved? I don't have any potential software injecting my internet like an antivirus at the moment.

What's the big secret behind this?

EDIT: did a quick video to show you

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Not 100% of it, but some of it will be the collecting and sharing of that telemetry data, as you type you create, as you create you leave crumbs. Microsoft collects that as do many others like Google ect. They dont give one big poo that you have to wait 2 more seconds for your site. Just a suggestion, try the same on windows with HMP.A installed, for me when I used it, that pause stopped.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

This isn't a controlled study, and it isn't comparing Apples to Apples (no pun intended).

To honestly test this you really need to be using the same browser, same extensions, and no AV on the windows machine - even WD has to be turned off. Then test it. Frankly, the speed of your Windows laptop opening that page is embarassingly slow so I am wondering what is going on with that? My average page load on my Ryzen is about 0.09s. Anything more than 0.15s and I would blow a gasket and think my computer needed to be flattened.

That aside, Mac is Unix, Linux is Unix. You'll almost always find faster loads on Unix based core OS's or derivatives of them largely because of the architecture in how they handle application execution.

PS: Apple stuff would never see my network. Overpriced, inflexible, and honestly - I hate what Apple stands for and generally despise people infatuated with Apple. Hehe

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Attachments

• capture_12082018_095702.jpg
    capture_12082018_095702.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 188

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Okay I may or may not be actually raging at my PC for this.

I bought a Mac a few days ago. i5, RAM 8GB, SSD... And I have my Windows PC. i7, 16GB, SSD...

I literally type a website on Safari (Mac) and gets instantly connected. Literally.
I literally type a website on Chrome (Windows) and it takes 2-8 seconds to finish loading it.

Same internet connection.

How on earth is this achieved? I don't have any potential software injecting my internet like an antivirus at the moment.

What's the big secret behind this?

EDIT: did a quick video to show you

Browser caching characteristics varies from browser to browser. I always felt Chrome loads pages faster than Firefox once the page is on browser cache. But if a page is loaded for the first time both browser load the page at almost same speed. OS has nothing to do with page load I believe.

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
I literally type a website on Chrome Edge (Windows) and it takes 2-8 seconds to finish loading it.
Did you figure out yet that you were running Edge on the Windows PC? The problem here is Safari vs Edge, not Mac vs Windows. Edge is slow af no matter what extension you add to it. The only use I ever got out of Edge was downloading Chrome then immediately closing it.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

DNS is not the issue, it took 0,07 secs on mine, but it still takes from 4 up to 9 secs to load.
Webpages usually load within 2-3 secs, so I would say, it is a badly optimized webpage.

Showing results for http://www.funciondigital.com/ - Nu Html Checker

That website is crap. It's highly possible it's a website that is just optimized for one browser. I am pretty sure with a cursory search I can find a website badly optimized for Safari and greatly optimized for Edge. Or more likely a website optimized for all browsers that has a very similar load time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.