CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Why I'm using multiple web browsers

I get asked frequently about the web browser that I use and I usually answer that I use them all. While that is a bit exaggerated, there is some truth to that. Let me explain.

I work with multiple web browsers throughout the day. I used to do all things in the Firefox browser using profiles, but switched to using multiple web browsers instead.

Here is my setup: I have Firefox Stable and Nightly, Opera, Vivaldi, Google Chrome Stable and Canary, Chromium, Pale Moon, Waterfox, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge on my system.

I use Firefox Nightly almost exclusively for writing. I have 50 tabs open in the browser currently and 49 of them point to a page on Ghacks. I use Opera as the default web browser on the system, and I use Google Chrome for social activities (which I do predominantly because of this site).

I switch the last two browsers frequently, so, instead of using Opera as the default I may use Vivaldi for a time, or switch to Microsoft Edge for my social activities.

use-browsers.png

I do use a special Firefox profile for important activities such as online banking next to that.

You may wonder why I use different browsers. I could just use one and it would not change a thing functionality-wise.

The main reason why I use multiple browsers is that it separates activity from another. That's an okay-ish reason for not polluting work related browsing histories with other browsing activity, but the main reason is that it is beneficial to privacy and security.

Privacy should be clear as it limits exposure to tracking and fingerprinting. Sites and companies use various means of tracking, for example by using cookies. If I separate social activity from other activity, I limited what companies like Facebook or Google get to know about my browsing activity and interests.

Sure, that is also possible by not using social media but I do have to use it because of this site. You can also delete cookies regularly or use other means to block tracking, obviously.

Security too benefits from such a setup as it limits the attack surface for certain types of attacks. I don't fall for phishing attacks but if I would, that phishing URL would open in the default web browser which I don't use for sign-in activity. It is also not possible to steal login data if I don't log in to specific services using that browser.

Maintenance is also a lot easier. I can keep the browsing history and cookies in Firefox, keep some cookies in Chrome to stay logged in, and delete anything in Opera after browsing sessions. Also, I don't have to juggle between multiple browser windows of the same browser which I find more difficult and less intuitive than using multiple browsers for the same purpose.

So, I keep certain tasks separated by using different browsers for that. The same can be achieved using Firefox profiles or even with a single browser if you set it up very careful (deleting or blocking cookies, content blocking, using containers or other functionality, using private browsing mode), but the latter is not as easy to maintain or setup.

Another benefit of this approach is that I'm always up to date when it comes to new browser features or changes that developers introduce. That's great as I tend to cover web browsers here a lot on the site.​

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I use Firefox and Opera. Firefox over 90% of time. Opera for those sites that doesn't work well in Firefox and when I need Opera's popup player. I also have Chrome, its mostly for other people like family members, on very rare occasion. I lock Opera and Firefox when I left it alone. They won't see my bookmarks :p

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I have 5 browsers Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Opera Beta and Vivaldi

Firefox for personal
Opera for surfing, tech news, gaming, etc
Chrome? hmm i dont know i chose Opera because of faster and in-built VPN..
the rest of others are for test...

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Good idea but I question how much (if any) security this would offer. Probably better to just sandbox Chrome and have the sandbox auto-wipe on exit.

I'm considering Firefox, a browser I cannot stand, for just Facebook to keep it isolated with their plugin. Then Chrome for everything else but that would be to take advantage of FB mitigation's in FF extension.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Isn't any security/Privacy you gain by using so many different browsers pretty much wiped out because you're increasing your attack surface?

The threat surface of even having that many browsers installed is substantial. Not only does your system now have to deal with 1-2, or even 3 browser vulns, but you have to deal with 8-10 different sets of vulns.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I simply use different browsers for different purposes.
Use Fire Fox when watching videos:love: or visiting:censored: sites with many images. And overseas sites such as MT use the chrome series Cent or Slim which is convenient for translation. Since the necessary plug-ins can also be separated, the operation will not be delayed.

Daviworld

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2018
Wow, this is like a blast from the past for me personally. Before I started working professionally in the networking & security scene. I too use to believe if I just compartmentalize the the stuff I do on various browser's, I would be ok, less stuff to take from that browser.

However, in reality that would just me more attack vector's to try. The sad truth is, if I wanted information off your machine. I would first see what kind of router you have, then I would look at the browser's you use, after that I would look at your operating system. Great, now I have all the information I need to start exploiting your targeted set-up. Without going too much further in-depth, I only used your browser as one piece of the puzzle.

Without over-complicating my advice, I believe you are looking for a way to separate your various online activities, limit the information it retains(cookies), and harden your browsers. All of which can be achieved via 1 browser or more if you preferred.

I myself use 5 browsers, but mainly on two. Firefox, Chrome, Brave, Tor, and Tenta. I mainly use Firefox & Chrome

I like Firefox, because it gives me granular control. For instance, if I want to use TLS 1.3 while every other browser slowly adds support for it. All I have to do is go to "about:config" and search security.tls.max and set it to 4(TLS 1.3). I can also isolate my cookies, set containers(profiles), etc. I also use add-ons which increases my attack vector, but the trade off for security is worth it. Using my set-up for Firefox and Chrome sometimes, I always get passing scores on my security test. My browser's purge any and all information after I close them, and my operating system purges all temporary and session information after powering down.

Sorry for the long post lol, but in my opinion I would suggest learning to harden your favorite browser or two and keeping those secure

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.