Why Not Use Antivirus Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derwan

Thread author
Feb 29, 2012
I see here and there experienced people not using antivirus software. Why not use antivirus software since it is free at no cost most of the times? Does it consume too much resources? When using sandboxie it also slows down the system a bit. Why not use Antivirus software together with sandboxie? (Sometimes virtual pc) . Most antiviruses are free - so no financial hurdle - is there any reason not using it, not leaving on the computer?

I am planning not to use antivirus software but I have to know if it will free the system resources a lot and I will feel the benefit. But if everything will almost be the same, I will let it be on the computer.

Any comments?

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I've never heard of sbie slowing a system down, it runs great on all my pc's (2gb ram or less) and it's very light...it's personal preference, I will always use some sort of av solution cause of what I do online but in some cases it's not needed if your using another type of security such as anti-exe's or virtualization software.

derwan

Thread author
Feb 29, 2012
What would be the benefits I get when not using an antivirus? Would it be considerably felt?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
It is advised by SBIE to still use a Security Software With SBIE.

Personally I use SBIE with Antivirus Software but this is my personal preference.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
If you've got an any way half decent PC there should be no reason not to run a free real-time solution.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
derwan said:
What would be the benefits I get when not using an antivirus? Would it be considerably felt?

If your not running an av your system will feel lighter obviously, if interested try a anti-exe such as novirus thanks free

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Derwan, I ll try to answer some of your questions based on my case.The main reason why I stopped using an antivirus is because I am safer not using one. I want to avoid conflicts, I want SBIE to be at its best at all times, I don't want to water down Sandboxies protection, not having anything else that's exactly what I am achieving.

Additionally, my computers feel better without one. I remember I use to hear noises coming from the inside of the PC, that doesn't happen anymore, I believe by not installing/uninstalling antiviruses, other security programs or running scans my computers will last longer. It is cause and effect (less work, PC healthier). My computers don't suffer lags or freezes when opening a folder or a file. They open automatically. unlike when using certain antiviruses. I read all the time about people suffering a BSOD after an upgrade, I don't go through any of that. Upgrading my AV use to give me stress, no more. My stress level when using an AV was about 8, without one is down to 1. Thats how good it feels not using one.

Most antiviruses work well with Sandboxie in the surface, they appear to work well but we never know whats going on between the two underneath. In my case, I don't want to wait to find out when I get hit by malware to see if SBIE and the AV were able to behave as they are supposed to. They might or they might not. I don't want that chance.

For people that see Sandboxie as a browser in a sandbox, if your default sandbox opens and closes slow, it might not be a big deal but if you are using the paid version, using multiple sandboxes, I got 14 now in this PC, this is important. Some antiiviruses, HIPS and Firewalls keep a lock in your programs and files when you run them sandboxed and the sandbox might take a few seconds to open and close. I don't want any of that. I want my sandboxes to open and close immediately with no delay and that's how it is here.

Is easy to know if someone should not drop using an antivirus. If you stop using one and you have the urge to do scans or "feel naked", then you are not ready. If you feel insecure, then you are insecure and you are not ready. If at any time you have doubt about whether your PC is clean or not, you are not ready. Is easy to know.

Bo

McLovin

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I personally think that everyone should be using an AV of some sort. If that includes MSE/Windows Defender then so be it. In this day and age everyone needs an AV.

D

Deleted member 178

If i didn't have 8 years of EAM, 3 years of Online Armor Premium, and an "unlimited" webroot closed-beta license; i will surely use only Sandboxie and Shadow Defender backuped by Rollback RX.

AVs always has an impact on the system responsiveness, it may be light or heavy depending the structure of the real-time engine.
If you add an HIPS/BB or any kind of behavior analyse, you will have to face choices that may hamper/cripple the system if you mistaken; not saying the impact on the OS kernel, since OS are not designed to see their functioning interrupted by an BB/HIPS.
Webfilters/hosts blocker may also hamper your browsing experience.
Ad-blockers can simply removed some pop-ups needed for the functionality of a website.

Examples of system crashes or heavy slowdowns due to the AVs are countless, not to say some badly streamed updates.

Virtualization softwares are the future of the computer security, they just need to be improved to fill the very few flaws they may have.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For us as we discovered and others that some products like HIPS, sandbox, virtualization, scanners and etc... Can stand with on.

Since mostly are free, no worries on the cost and saving lot of problems for AV due to comparison information and observation gathered.

However still recommending to have an AV at all times as it could save your system from various products.

And don't forget its knowledge wheb dealing in such situation.

derwan

Thread author
Feb 29, 2012
Firewall?

I know, use sandboxie too - I know there is no way to bypass it (only when in forced folders it can be bypassed but it does not execute out of sandbox in this way too. )

I will try to use virtualization software more frequently.

And best of all - Sandboxie. I am satisfied it with and comfortable.

And additional question - is there a need for a firewall too, for notifying to block incoming and outgoing connections? Or windows firewall is sufficient enough? I would like to hear from people further on these antivirus and firewall issues.

--edit: some clarifications.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Most firewall software are bundled with HIPS which can be additional to virtualization.

You may use third party or Windows Firewall as long its proper configured and stay away from such suspicious application that connect in the internet.

D

Deleted member 178

a firewall is still necessary (Windows Firewall is enough except on XP ^^) , at least to block outgoing connections and prevent the "hacker" (that will have time to waste) to penetrate your system.

Akash209

Verified
Feb 11, 2013
Bro.. You r Absolutely Right.. They cant use any Av bcz they have no fear that any virus can came to here pc.. Why?? bcz they r changing there ip/proxy.. yeah.. change in proxy or ip cant stop virus but they manage.... I think they should scan pc once a week in online or like malwarebyte or something like that..!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You can leave without an AV in a life but tools like scanners isn't it as to make sure your system is clean.

But mostly case you need something a realtime protection at every matters even you don't like it.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
a firewall is still necessary (Windows Firewall is enough except on XP ^^) , at least to block outgoing connections and prevent the "hacker" (that will have time to waste) to penetrate your system.

The XP firewall is also capable. If you're worried about outgoing connections, then your security setup has failed. ;)

As per the OP's comments, I think it's always a good idea to have a backup line of defense in case your main line isn't sufficient.

I've been using computers for over 30 years and know what I'm doing, but I also know enough to realize that there is considerably more that I don't know! I'm not willing to put my faith in a single line of defense.

I run a security suite along with Sandboxie, and I've never been able to see a difference in system speed while running this setup, as opposed to running without this protection. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
RE: Firewall?

derwan said:
And additional question - is there a need for a firewall too, for notifying to block incoming and outgoing connections? Or windows firewall is sufficient enough? I would like to hear from people further on these antivirus and firewall issues.

Hi Derwan, for me, the Windows firewall has proven to be enough. In over four years of using SBIE, I never had anything leak out but if you like to know what is connecting, then you should use a software firewall. Sandboxie is not a firewall but there are settings that you can use to keep programs running in a sandbox from connecting.

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?RestrictionsSettings#internet

For example, in my Firefox sandbox, only Firefox is allowed to connect. If any other program tries to connect, Sandboxie blocks it and issues a message letting me know about it. Other examples, on my Foxit or USB sandboxes, no programs are allowed to connect.

In your previous post you mentioned something about Forced folders being bypassed, What do you mean?

Bo

derwan

Thread author
Feb 29, 2012

bo.elam said:
In your previous post you mentioned something about Forced folders being bypassed, What do you mean?

Bo

Hi Bo. I do not want to speculate about this issue - I am not a techie guy. This was discussed in the Sandboxie forum too. As I understand and can remember, when a zip file was clicked in a sandbox forced folder, the exe file was being extracted out of the sandboxie protected area. Let me find the link and I will share.

derwan

Thread author
Feb 29, 2012
I guess this was the link on Sandboxie security flaw:

http://ssj100.fullsubject.com/t462-sandboxie-security-flaw

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

derwan said:
bo.elam said:

Bo

Hi Bo. I do not want to speculate about this issue - I am not a techie guy. This was discussed in the Sandboxie forum too. As I understand and can remember, when a zip file was clicked in a sandbox forced folder, the exe file was being extracted out of the sandboxie protected area. Let me find the link and I will share.

I know the link, you don't need to look for it. It was something about a long name. Anyway, Sandboxie and other programs that do sandboxing have weaknesses (like Achilles). This weaknesses have to do with certain programs that will not run sandboxed, in Sandboxies case, when this files are in a forced folder, they will not run sandboxed when you click on them. The affected known programs are Windows picture and fax viewer and Windows media player. There are workarounds for this.

In my opinion this issues are not a problem as long as the user knows about them and do something about it. If you are using the registered version, let me know and I ll tell you how to handle this issues. OK.-

Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.