Why Windows Defender may be one of the best AVs but it seems it isn't?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
what WD is missing is BB to block the zero-days, and it's a very good thing it's missing, because BB often blocks clean software, too.
If you want your OS and your software to work right, use WD.
And if you want to also be really secure, use a default-deny solution of some type.

W

Wave

what WD is missing is BB to block the zero-days, and it's a very good thing it's missing, because BB often blocks clean software, too.
If you want your OS and your software to work right, use WD.
And if you want to also be really secure, use a default-deny solution of some type.
That's what I mean! Not everyone knows how to work a BB and they'll get confused, it'll cause more problems than good... plus more performance decrease. I think it is a good thing that WD is only just a real-time scanner with an on-demand scan, it is good for me like me who don't want anything additional to that.

Plus mixed with UAC + SmartScreen = even better.

Reactions: roger_m and shmu26
W

Wave

Windows Defender performance isn't that great. In testing, it varies from about 50 % to 90 %s. It needs to be supplemented. Software Restriction Policy fortifies Windows Defender quite a bit.
Well it's different for me, varies depending on system specs too. For me WD is fine and feels more lightweight than other products on the market like Avira, ESET, Emsisoft, Avira and Kaspersky. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.