Why your Android Smartphone is not using the latest version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
With each Android build, Google offers more and more features and security layers. Unfortunately not everyone benefits from the latest available version (currently 4.2), many series versions 2.2 (Froyo), 2.3 (Gingerbread), Ice Cream Sandwhich 4.0 or 4.1 Jelly Bean.

So who is to blame that your Android Smartphone hasn't yet been updated to their 4.2 version. Take a look at the below chart, and see who is to blame.

Are%20You%20Missing%20Out%20On%20Your%20Android%20Device%20800%20copy.jpg

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I remember I posted something similar a few months ago, about the process of when Android updates are pushed through manufacturers and carriers.

For the latest Android releases, is it better to stick the Google's own (LG) Nexus?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Common problem when manufacturers went to discontinued the updates and expires through cycles.

So Custom ROMs are available at the corner, provide frequent updates but risk due on 3rd party source and caused brick.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I am running an unofficial version of Jelly bean 4.1 on my phone. It works great but with some minor bugs as it is still in development.

That was an example that shows you that phone manufacturers discontinue the updates even though they can be updated. Another example is the Galaxy S1 and the Google Nexus S which run on extremely similar hardware, Samsung discontinued the updates for the S1 when it was on 2.3 and Google Nexus S has 4.1 as its last update. Phone manufacturers should say "we are lazy to update your devices' firmwares" instead of "your devices are incompatible with the newer firmware".

timnik

Verified
Feb 27, 2013
Earth said:
For the latest Android releases, is it better to stick the Google's own (LG) Nexus?

I'm using the previous Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone from Google (stock rom android 4.2.2) and it gets its updates as soon as they are released.
This is one of the main reasons why I bought this phone, but of course there are others such as unlocked bootloader for example. However, I'm still on the stock rom because it's simple, fast, stable, and up to date.
I will definitely try another rom some day as this model is also very popular among developers.

If I was buying a new phone right now, I would still stick with Google and its Nexus 4.

timnik

Verified
Feb 27, 2013
MrXidus said:
Cyanogen ROM user and proud.

I used this one to bring my previous Motorola Defy to android Gingerbread (and it was great), because Mototola ditched it at the previous version Android Froyo..:s

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
For me since I'm really lazy to upgrade my phone, it would have to be 2.2 :-/

timnik

Verified
Feb 27, 2013
McLovin said:

You should. At least for security reasons, as more and more malware goes mobile :s

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
:eek:fftopic:

Old/Funny OT reply coming up:

McLovin, the same applies for when you wish IE9 had a built-in spell checker and you never bother upgrading to IE10.

McLovin said:

Back on topic, I seem to think Android (+ other smartphones) are not that economical and a waste on resources, except in the instance of hardware failure.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Some people tends not to update as they prefer default and fine tune performance and when dealing applications, few may fall as a victim of infection.

Mine is like a year already, and updated only from the last firmware maybe however not scared on vulnerability.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Earth said:
:eek:fftopic:

Old/Funny OT reply coming up:

McLovin, the same applies for when you wish IE9 had a built-in spell checker and you never bother upgrading to IE10.

McLovin said:

He meant about buying a new phone, not updating the software, I think.
What's your phone McLovin?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I understood what he meant, but it was intended as a joke. :p

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
What's your phone McLovin?

Currently a HTC Wildfire. A bit old, but all I use it for is calling.

Earth said:
I understood what he meant, but it was intended as a joke. :p

Hey I just did the upgrade to IE 10 the other day. When it comes to that it's lazy. :p

souhrid

Level 5
Jun 29, 2012
currently using ICS as there is no official update from manufacturer .Guys what is your opinion about rooting phone?Since rooting voids warranty i'm afraid to root .moreover i came to know some probleums caused by rooting.please help:huh: me i would :heart: to have jellybean 4.2 in my phone

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
souhrid said:
currently using ICS as there is no official update from manufacturer .Guys what is your opinion about rooting phone?Since rooting voids warranty i'm afraid to root .moreover i came to know some probleums caused by rooting.please help:huh: me i would :heart: to have jellybean 4.2 in my phone

Just follow the instruction carefully before rooting, and takes a minute to be activated..

Rooting can unlocked some benefits like, applications can be installed via SD card (where default are phone storage), can be used other root software and many more.

Note: There are some manufacturers, provide firmware updates which included applications to move on SD card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.