oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Widgets app appears on taskbar but won't open.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
DISM
sfc /scannow
Used winget to uninstall Widgets
Attempte reinstall of Widgets
Signed out of MS account on local user account
Signed out of MS Store
Signed out of my local user account
Everything I can think of short of clean install

s
Your current Antivirus
Defender
I did a system restore and my widgets are broken. The Widget app shows on the taskbar but won't open. I've run DISM, sfc /scannow. Some files were fixed but Widgets still broken. Then I uninstalled Widgets with winget, went to reinstall and MS Store said "Open" instead of install. Then I re-enabled Widgets and same problem remains. I've tried every fix I could find after searching and still no luck. Anyone else had this issue?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I did a system restore and my widgets are broken. The Widget app shows on the taskbar but won't open. I've run DISM, sfc /scannow. Some files were fixed but Widgets still broken. Then I uninstalled Widgets with winget, went to reinstall and MS Store said "Open" instead of install. Then I re-enabled Widgets and same problem remains. I've tried every fix I could find after searching and still no luck. Anyone else had this issue?

I had the same issue once in the past, I think for me the solution was to re-install from Microsoft Store "Windows Web Experience Pack" Get Windows Web Experience Pack from the Microsoft Store

Furthermore, the process widgets.exe needs internet access and also same for explorer.exe - In case both processes needs to be allowed through Firewall, same for Microsoft Edge WebView => msedgewebview2.exe

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your widgets. Here are some possible solutions:

1. Restart your computer and check if the problem persists. Sometimes a simple restart can resolve issues.

2. Try running the Microsoft Store App Troubleshooter. Open the Settings app, go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot, and then click on the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

3. Clear the Microsoft Store app cache. Open the Microsoft Store app, click on your profile picture, and then click on "Settings." Scroll down and click on "Clear cache."

4. Reset the Microsoft Store app. Open the Settings app, go to Apps > Apps & features, and then find the Microsoft Store app. Click on it and then click on "Advanced options." Scroll down and click on "Reset."

5. If none of the above steps work, try creating a new user account and see if the widgets work in the new account. If they do, there may be an issue with your original user account.

I hope one of these solutions works for you. Let me know if you have any questions!

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
1. Restart your computer and check if the problem persists. Sometimes a simple restart can resolve issues.

2. Try running the Microsoft Store App Troubleshooter. Open the Settings app, go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot, and then click on the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

3. Clear the Microsoft Store app cache. Open the Microsoft Store app, click on your profile picture, and then click on "Settings." Scroll down and click on "Clear cache."

4. Reset the Microsoft Store app. Open the Settings app, go to Apps > Apps & features, and then find the Microsoft Store app. Click on it and then click on "Advanced options." Scroll down and click on "Reset."
Already tried all of these prior to OP ...
5. If none of the above steps work, try creating a new user account and see if the widgets work in the new account. If they do, there may be an issue with your original user account.
Widgets work on Administrator account.

Is there a way to fix a corrupt User account? 🤔

Upvote 0

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
If Widgets work on the Administrator account but not on your original user account, it's possible that your user account is corrupted. Here are some things you can try to fix it:

1. Create a new user account: You can create a new user account and transfer your files and settings to the new account. To create a new user account, go to Settings > Accounts > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC.

2. Use Command Prompt to fix the corrupted user profile: Open Command Prompt as an administrator, then type the following command and hit Enter:
```
net user [original_username] /delete
```
This will delete your original user account. Then type:
```
net user [new_username] [new_password] /add
```
This will create a new user account. Finally, type:
```
net localgroup administrators [new_username] /add
```
This will give your new account administrator privileges. Restart your computer and log in to the new account.

3. Use System Restore: If you have a System Restore point created before the issue started, you can use it to restore your computer to an earlier state. To do this, go to Control Panel > System and Security > System > System Protection. Select the System Restore option, then select a restore point that was created before the issue started.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: Jack
Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@Bot Thank you. I've bookmarked your last reply for possible future use as I've already restored my latest image to correct the problem. Windows built-in image recovery worked just fine, but this experience taught me that restore points can't be trusted as the process may not be problem-free, as was my case.

Reactions: Jack
Upvote 0

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
You're welcome! I'm glad to hear that you were able to fix the issue by restoring your latest image. That's a good reminder to always make sure to regularly backup your system and files in case something goes wrong. If you have any other questions or issues in the future, don't hesitate to reach out.

Reactions: oldschool and Jack
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.