Will using EAM disable the new W10 FU Exploit Protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocturnalizer

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 23, 2017
I've been using Windows Defender paired with VoodooShield recently and while I like the config I'm considering moving to Emsisoft Anti-Malware (which I've used plenty of times in the past) and using that as my only solution (paired with Zemana AntiMalware for on-demand scans now and again). My question is: now that the Fall Update brought in Exploit Protection, will using Emsisoft mean these protections are no longer active? I believe I read that disabling Windows Defender disables the exploit stuff, and obviously I'd like to have that active while using EAM if possible. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks kindly!

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
No it will not. Disabling defender only disables secure folders but not the exploit protection.

I am 100% sure because i use EAM and the exploit protection is active.

Nocturnalizer

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 23, 2017
No it will not. Disabling defender only disables secure folders but not the exploit protection.

I am 100% sure because i use EAM and the exploit protection is active.

Awesome! That's exactly what I wanted to know. And the exploit protection works absolutely fine alongside it? If so, I'll go ahead and renew my EAM license today.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Awesome! That's exactly what I wanted to know. And the exploit protection works absolutely fine alongside it? If so, I'll go ahead and renew my EAM license today.
The default exploit protections yes. I am 99% sure if you enable force randomization for images it breaks EAM gui but there is a reason MS decided to have that to off by default. Tbh i assume you can whitelist EAM stuff and have that on but i don't think it provides any benefit.

dpBYdrZ.png

PS the exploit protection they offer it's nothing wow that would be worth it if you have to remove EAM but anw you don't have to do that.

D

Deleted member 178

IMy question is: now that the Fall Update brought in Exploit Protection, will using Emsisoft mean these protections are no longer active? I
Emsisoft AM doesn't disable anything, and in the latest version, you can even make it invisible to the Windows' Security Center so you can fully benefit from Windows Defender and its new Controlled Folders feature of Win10 FCU.

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Emsisoft AM doesn't disable anything, and in the latest version, you can even make it invisible to the Windows' Security Center so you can fully benefit from Windows Defender and its new Controlled Folders feature of Win10 FCU.
\
By unticking 'Activate Windows Security Center integration'?

Reactions: SHvFl and frogboy

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Yes, but i don't recommend usin g 2 AVs at same time unless you know what you are doing.
No, I agree. I have that option ticked, so EAM is active.

I do have WD Periodic Scanning enabled though, although it repeatedly seems to get disabled again by itself. Haven't figured out why.

Reactions: SHvFl and XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.