win7 / win8 config

miragez

Thread author
Dec 5, 2012
backup component:
Win 7 ( Customized WinPE7SE with drive snapshot/ drive image xml )
Win 8 ( Customized TBWINRE with Image for Windows works with all 64bit system [tested with Win7 System as well])
Win 8 ( bare-metal recovery + layout partition design )

backup solution:
1 full clean backup (Win7 and Win 8)
1 full working (Win7 and Win 8)
1 Fail Safe crashing backup (Win 7 and Win 8)

Hi all,

These are my setup, I do not like EMET / Windows Defender/ Windows Firewall/Windows Update ( no point for me ) all these are turn off. Feel free to comment on how I can improve further without damaging speed and resources.

thanks
Miragez

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What's a real valid reason for Windows Updates, disabled?

While I may not understand your logic to improve PC response, is to not use HIPS-based software, that's my opinion. :)

miragez

Thread author
Dec 5, 2012
Hi Earth,

The main reason falls a long way back when... I started using Windows XP, when updates does is eat up diskspace, corrupting my Windows XP... and this carry on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit where it cause my entire windows un-bootable...... therefore I never going to do any windows update since there's really no point. My view never fix it unless its broken... So far Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit ( NO SP1 ) Till now running for 2 and half years now.

Well probably I have backup... to recover now if anything breaks.... but from my point of view I recover for things I break my operating system.... and not windows breaking it...

Thanks Earth, any more suggestions ? improving my security ?
HIPS-based software does not slow my system if I know what I am doing. but when doing windows update... even if they state the changelog I cannot confirm what really happen.

D

Deleted member 178

Earth said:

While I may not understand your logic to improve PC response, is to not use HIPS-based software, that's my opinion. :)

I agree, if you want the fastest pc possible with the best protection and lowest resource usage, you should use:

- UAC turn on at max
- Windows up to date
- Windows Firewall
- Avast or Webroot SA

Just my opinion too ;)

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Windows Updates are an integral part of securing a PC and should be the first step. Security software comes after.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
That's really odd that you have had problem with windows update and yes there is a STRONG point with windows updates as it patches holes that exploits/hackers use and it fixes problems and stability issues. Windows Defender for Win8 I actually hear is good however I have not seen a test with my own eyes so i can't really say anything about it yet.

Other than Windows updates, You're pretty good. :D

Welcome to MalwareTips!

D

Deleted member 178

miragez said:
Hi Earth,

The main reason falls a long way back when... I started using Windows XP, when updates does is eat up diskspace, corrupting my Windows XP... and this carry on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit where it cause my entire windows un-bootable...... therefore I never going to do any windows update since there's really no point. My view never fix it unless its broken... So far Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit ( NO SP1 ) Till now running for 2 and half years now.

big error, many bugs/holes/system amelioration are solved with Updates, also some AV will ask you to have WIndows updated.

Xp was another world, since Win7 i never had any corruptions.

Well probably I have backup... to recover now if anything breaks.... but from my point of view I recover for things I break my operating system.... and not windows breaking it...

the best way to solve issues. Maybe you should try Rollback RX so if an update goes wrong you can restore a previously done snapshot of the system with a reboot.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Like others have said what is the point for the Windows Updates?
Apart from that the thing that I recommend that you can add is Lastpass for Chrome and Firefox. :)

miragez

Thread author
Dec 5, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
big error, many bugs/holes/system amelioration are solved with Updates, also some AV will ask you to have WIndows updated.

Xp was another world, since Win7 i never had any corruptions.

:D so far windows 7 2 years old, no updates the bugs or holes nothing is happening though I yet to get a vulnerability scanner to have a scan on it..

the best way to solve issues. Maybe you should try Rollback RX so if an update goes wrong you can restore a previously done snapshot of the system with a reboot.

Rollback RX I tried that before but it really not to my taste especially I have to let go have Disktrix Ultimate Defrag.

Anybody know of a standalone vulnerability scanner ?

D

Deleted member 178

ESET System Inspector, you can have 10 AVs your system is still vulnerable, it cost you nothing to update it especially with Win7 (unless you have a pirated version and afraid of Microsoft).

With Rollback RX you should not use any defragger.

miragez

Thread author
Dec 5, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
Earth said:

I agree, if you want the fastest pc possible with the best protection and lowest resource usage, you should use:

- UAC turn on at max
- Windows up to date
- Windows Firewall
- Avast or Webroot SA

Just my opinion too ;)

UAC, I shut it down totally
Windows Firewall ( though many have said win 7 firewall has secret configuration which tinywall or Windows Firewall Control can handle... I dislike them using net framework 4.0 <--- this is a resource leecher... )
Does you avast has all the feature on ?

Umbra thanks for the advice.

Most of the time Shadow Defender On / sandboxie on with chrome ( sandboxie folder separated in isolate partition ). Eset and MAMB and Private Firewall running... on Win 7...

I not sure what to use for Win 8 Pro 64bit now, I feel the setup pretty empty.... especially I looking on trying out other type of firewall beside comodo... but most review here stated about OA and OPF both are monster eaters.... have anybody got latest result of ZA are they still biting lots of cpu and resources?

D

Deleted member 178

No problem, yes all features turned on for Avast.

i am a big fan of the "layered security" approach in any Windows, so all my systems are oriented in that way, all layers covered. i can say my config is almost impervious from common malwares vectors.

P

Plexx

By denying updating windows limits already the suggestions we can give you.

Pointless running an outdated OS with security holes and exploit holes available, regardless if your system has not been infected or not.

Remember, not all KBs are for patching. Some are for preformace and improvements.

I suggest you have a look at the description of the KBs and then update windows.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
+Bioz. ITs better at least just to apply Win7SPI. Just get the major IE and Windows security fixes.
Even if you dont use IE do get the activex patches as some other apps do rely on IE to work. Example some antiviruses.

P

Plexx

The OP is free to choose not to update OS but it becomes just hard to provide feedback on additional layer when the core base is being left out. Just my opinion.

D

Deleted member 178

yes it is like to put force shield to a naval warship with holes in the hull...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.