New Update Windows 10 February 2024 Patch Tuesday (KB5034763)

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
It's the second Tuesday of the month, which means it's Patch Tuesday time again. As such, today Microsoft is rolling out the monthly security update (also called "B release") for February 2024 on Windows Server 20H2, and Windows 10 for the latest supported versions, 20H2, 21H2, and 22H2. The new updates are being distributed under KB5034763, bumping up the builds to 19044.4046 and 19045.4046.

You can find standalone links to download the new update on the Microsoft Update Catalog at this link here.

The major highlight of the release as usual is security updates for Windows 10.

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
All installed fine but after a reboot I noticed that the most of my pinned shortcuts were gone (despite they are still in the %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar) and also my icons in the system tray were gone as well. It wasn't Kaspersky, Comodo or Open-Shell causing the problem. Restarting the explorer.exe fixed the issue, at least for the current session. After a reboot, the same happened and I had to kill and restart explorer.exe manually again. Uninstalling the update didn't fix that. However, I still believe this was caused by the KB5034763 update (regarding the changelog it altered the explorer.exe to fix a vulnerability - "This update addresses an issue that affects explorer.exe. It might stop responding. This occurs when you restart or shut down a PC that has a controller accessory attached to it.") For now, I will wait for a hotfix or simple will restore the image before the updates from today. Not a big deal, but really annoying.

It also asked me to sign in my Windows account and to sync it with it. It definitely did some modifications to my current account and said "Preparing Windows" like when I run Windows for a first time after a clean installation. Very weird.

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
It seems I am not the only one with this problem:
This update contains the previous preview update KB5034203. I have no idea why, but on my machine, KB5034203 completely breaks my taskbar. I literally just wiped Windows 10 on Sunday of this week and reinstalled it, all my apps and settings, etc. Everything was great until Windows pulled down KB5034763, which contains KB5034203, and again it completely #####ed up my taskbar.
After installing this update, my taskbar doesn't load the Windows Security, sound or network icons. It also doesn't finish loading any other tray icons that usually start up, nor does it load any of my pinned applications. Sure, launching task manager and restarting File Explorer fixes it, but I'll be damned if I'm going to do that after every reboot.
For now, I just uninstalled this update and blocked updates for 35 days. Hopefully the March update resolves whatever issue I'm having.
I've encountered other similar posts on reddit as well.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
fwiw, I updated win10 yesterday, and kb5034763 installed without error message and not see any issues with taskbar / systray...
I do continue to have the kb5034441 issue continuing since Jan. Bleeping makes it sound like not much to do about it, or perhaps much to do about nothing... :unsure:
has ajnyone here successfully run the MS script mentioned below...

Reactions: B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
A small update:
This time I've uninstalled it trough WUSA and not trough WU and the problem disappeared.

Now I paused the update until it's fixed. I will not restore the image in that case, nor I will not be doing additional troubleshooting like creating a new user account, creating a task scheduler to restart explorer.exe after login-in, replacing the new version of the explorer.exe with the old version from the image file etc. So definitely the update caused the issue for me. It seems that Win 11 users were affected as well (not all, but some of them).

wusa /uninstall /kb:5034763
Install-Module PSWindowsUpdate
Get-WindowsUpdate
Hide-WindowsUpdate -KBArticleID KB5034763

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.