Win 10 reset query

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I read that Win 10 reset reinstalls OS but windows updates are not affected i.e you will not be required to reinstall the already installed windows updates.

Is this info correct?

Reactions: Logethica

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I read that Win 10 reset reinstalls OS but windows updates are not affected i.e you will not be required to reinstall the already installed windows updates.

Is this info correct?
Yes, that's how it works, I reset after the first cumulative update and didn't need to install it again;)

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Yes, that's how it works, I reset after the first cumulative update and didn't need to install it again;)
Reset mention 2 options-
Keep files - Does this means installed programs & other partition will remain intact?
Remove files - Does this means installed programs & other partition will be removed?

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
My data partition remained intact after the reset, Keep files just means your personal files will be kept but not any 3rd party programs, Remove files will give you nothing but the OS, either way other partitions should remain unchanged, I think it asked me about my other partition but my memory is bad.

arslan ejaz

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2015
As far i remember my first cumulative updates were installed when i reset the windows 10 and i clicked on the keep files option

S

SkyJP

Thread author
The reset feature won't remove OS updates.

For me, only the drive where Windows was installed was reset. My data partition was untouched.

Windows will anyway create a Windows.old folder at your OS partition (C:\) which holds data for the previous programs installed before the reset if you need to have access to other documents or program data. Disk cleaners may accidentally delete this folder.

Reactions: juhful

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Windows 10 Reset PC already combines the ability to keep files or not.

If you click to remove everything from your hard drive then expect that updates should be remove, but if decide to keep files then updates are totally intact.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Windows 10 Reset PC already combines the ability to keep files or not.

If you click to remove everything from your hard drive then expect that updates should be remove, but if decide to keep files then updates are totally intact.
So choosing the option dont keep anything removes windows updates files too, right?

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
So choosing the option dont keep anything removes windows updates files too, right?
The updates you already installed will be there with a reset, mine were, and I didn't keep any files;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@yesnoo : Well from its user observation; updates may retain, if you have 3rd option which primarily from OEM to reset factory settings then that's a different side of story. (reinstall of Windows)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.