• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Clean install Win 10 64.

When I shutdown Win 10 it is quick i.e 5-6 secs...but the lights on the laptop like sound, wifi, etc..lights takes 6-10 secs to go off.

Guess its normal... and should I wait for the lights to go off or can close the laptop lid?

Is it the same on your laptop?

Reactions: Logethica

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Yes, wait until all lights go off. It is like that since windows 7. Remember by default it is not shutting down but a sort of Sleep mode. Something Norton with their new version didn't like how it was defaulted in windows and as a result, users across the world were having problems with updating Norton and they were advised to change the settings in the actual windows.

Reactions: Ink
L

LabZero

Thread author
It's the same on my laptop.
The screen is the first to shut down, then the rest.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
What could happen if laptop lid is closed before lights goes off?
Just asking for the info as its a shared laptop with average users.

How to change the settings in the actual Windows?

Reactions: Logethica

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Whatever you have the power settings on for when the lid closes will happen, I have done it, closed the lid to quick after shutting down and when I opened the lid the next morning it shutdown lol. I had mine on sleep when the lid closes.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I think the question is still unanswered:
What could happen if laptop lid is closed before lights goes off?

So, if I close the laptop before it shuts down all the lights, what would happen? Or simply, when the computer is shutting down, then you close the lid, what will happen? WIll it continue shutting down? Or will it do what closing the lid is programmed (e.g. sleep or hibernate)?

I'm inclined to believe that it will continue to shutdown. But it is good to know the exact answer. I never tried closing the lid before the lights are off because it may cause the end of my 2-month old laptop. lol

Reactions: Ink

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
To clarify:

When the laptop lid is closed there are many basis:

1) At default usually its going to sleep, therefore all the lights are off except one of them is blinking as indicator of low power state.
2) If you set from power configuration to do nothing then, none of them execute the operation.
3) If you set to shut down therefore expect it will perform a quick shutdown and wait for all lights to be off.

Bottomline: Even you closed the lid of laptop, as the operation click by user to shutdown then it will go the same path to turn off all the lights.

Reactions: XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.