Windows 7 Not Getting a Service Pack 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malware1

Level 76
Thread author
Sep 28, 2011

Perhaps serving as further proof that Microsoft is supremely confident in Windows 8 and expects nothing less than for it to be a raging success, it's being reported that Windows 7 will not see a second Service Pack. Windows 7 proponents will be quick to point out that their OS of choice hardly needs one, and while there might be some truth to that, it's still an unusual move to stop after SP1.

It took three years for Microsoft to release an SP2 update for Windows XP. As of this month, it's been three years since the release of Windows 7 in October 2009 and there doesn't appear to another Service Pack in sight. And while not confirmed, The Register claims to have received word from sources close to Microsoft's sustained engineering team, which builds and releases Service Pack updates.
No_Updates.jpg

Service Packs are handy because they contain numerous security and performance updates all rolled into one, saving IT managers and home consumers time when it comes to patching up Windows and making sure they're up to date. On Microsoft's end, putting together Service Pack releases is both expensive and time consuming, which could be the other motivating factor in not releasing an SP2 update for Windows 7.

Source

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I agree esepecially when many people like myself are probably going to stay with windows 7 after they get a look at windows 8 if they havent already.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
XP SP3 | Vista SP2 | 7 SP1. So I'm not surprised there is no SP2 for Windows 7.

I hope to move to Windows 8 next year.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Ah I see a nice pattern here.

Number of SP:

XP: 3
Vista: 2
7:1
8:0
9: -1
10: -2

Anyhow, Like many others, I'm sticking with Windows 7 unless I get a tablet which probably isn't going to happen anytime soon for me.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I will be sticking with Windows 7 for a while, so there will be no way of making me change, unless I really really have too. Personally though would be better to bring out a service pack for the reason of they can shove a lot of updates in that.

D

Deleted member 178

The GUI is not the best they made but it compensate for Win8 lightness on resources.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Well I can bet that it will still be at least one service pack for Windows 7 despite this news....It's a very wide spread operating system and not many will update to 8,so they'll need to release some patches to protect us from future exploits.
What I expect to see in the near future is reports from 'security experts' saying that Windows 7 is not secure and we should all upgrade to the 8 version.

D

Deleted member 178

Jack said:
What I expect to see in the near future is reports from 'security experts' saying that Windows 7 is not secure and we should all upgrade to the 8 version.

+1 to that and because i feel the urge to not let your kudos stay to a round number like 1200 ^^

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
Jack said:

+1 to that and because i feel the urge to not let your kudos stay to a round number like 1200 ^^

Will you quit with making the Kudos number odd! UGH Now I gotta fix it!

Anyhow, They said the same thing when Vista released....same when 7 released. It went from most secure OS ever to its the most unsecure OS and its highly recommended to upgrade now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.