Windows 7 Remains the Top OS in September, Windows XP Comes Second

Status
Not open for further replies.

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
According to Net Applications, Windows 7 remained the top choice in September with a market share of 44.04 percent, while Windows XP dropped to 41.23 percent. Windows Vista remains a disappointing operating system with 6.05 percent, while Mac OS X 10.7 is still far away from Windows with 2.34 percent.
Windows-7-Remains-the-Top-OS-in-September-Windows-XP-Comes-Second-2.png

Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-Remains-the-Top-OS-in-September-Windows-XP-Comes-Second-295920.shtml

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Once they end support for Windows XP, it will drop heaps more.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I am thinking of switching to Ubuntu. What you say? Linux has become stable and mature now.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
malbky said:
I am thinking of switching to Ubuntu. What you say? Linux has become stable and mature now.

Anything is worth ago. :)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
malbky said:

If you want to switch, go for it.

Linux has been stable and mature for a very long time...

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
I think windows xp should have stayed with support and vista should have been stopped :p i really love xp

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have Windows XP (XP Mode), such an old OS and lacks many features compared to Vista/7/8. Get rid of it, I say.

Just like how you ALL (advised) use modern browsers, using the latest versions etc. No different for Operating Systems, though they have a longer shelf life.

Some times you have to learn to let go. ;)

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
XP is still the number one OS in corporate environments along with IE6.
I know for a fact that microsoft has promised paid support for XP in my corporation for atleast 4 more years after the supposed end date in april!

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
I think most corporations wont want to upgrade due to the fact it will cost them lots of money depending on the number of computers

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
imsoadude said:
I think most corporations wont want to upgrade due to the fact it will cost them lots of money depending on the number of computers

That's true, but look at it this way. If they don't upgrade companies might lose everything if they don't, plus when XP expires what are people going too do then?

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Upgrade for lower prices lol by then windows 9 could be out or windows 8 could over take windows 7 :p

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
imsoadude said:

that is true,its not just the cost of the OS,i think most companies can upgrade the OS,but the customised applications that run on xp and not on win 7 or win 8 is the main reason corporations are reluctant to upgrade.
i mean win xp more on windows 7 was ok,but heck why would one upgrade to win 7 and still use xp inside it ?

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
McLovin said:
imsoadude said:

That's true, but look at it this way. If they don't upgrade companies might lose everything if they don't, plus when XP expires what are people going too do then?

as i said in earlier post MS will provide support to xp for corporations lonnger than home or personal users.
although it would be a paid support.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
arsenaloyal said:
as i said in earlier post MS will provide support to xp for corporations lonnger than home or personal users.
although it would be a paid support.

Which would still cost them, plus in the long run it would be more worth it if they just bought Windows 7.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Another problem could be the workers could not be so tech savey and wouldnt know how to use windows 7, i know a few people that have never used windows 7

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
imsoadude said:

That and plus most of the employees wouldn't like to get a change in their day to day operations.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
McLovin said:
Which would still cost them, plus in the long run it would be more worth it if they just bought Windows 7.

no you are actually wrong,you see upgrading to a differnet OS would not only mean the migration cost,not to mention the hardware upgrades,but also the applications that run on windows xp would have to be upgraded.

and that the exact reason why you dont see adoption of windows 7 still in major offices.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
arsenaloyal said:
no you are actually wrong,you see upgrading to a differnet OS would not only mean the migration cost,not to mention the hardware upgrades,but also the applications that run on windows xp would have to be upgraded.

and that the exact reason why you dont see adoption of windows 7 still in major offices.

Yes I do see that, but also they will have to upgrade eventually.

D

Deleted member 178

Corporate classic environment:

- Cheap PC : no need a super CPU/RAM/graphic card for using MS office/Libre Office and intranets/internet; consider that users will not take care of the office PC as their own, so cheap component for cost-saving
replacement.
- Cheap OS : Win98/WinXP that fit the Cheap PC hardware restrictions.
- Cheap Maintenance: If the company IT can't fix the cheap PC, just buy a new cheap one.

Observed this so many times even in big companies/groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.