Fullm's Windows 7 Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Security is built in layers, Smartscreen is a fundamental security layer that should be enabled.
he is on Win7 and use chrome, he has no use of Smartscreen (which applies only to IE).
I use the system restore software --powershadow
and what if (because you have an unpatched OS) you get a FUD rootkit/bioskit that will disregard your restore software (which seems a clone of Shadow Defender )?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Edit: you use Windows 7, and it would be better to migrate to Windows 10.
Probably doesn't want spyware. :p
Add Malwarebytes to on demand.
Malwarebytes 3 is quite heavy for just on-demand scanning, think of all the other Features they packed into the new version. It's not really suitable as a lightweight scanner, in my opinion.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
But for how long will they support Malwarebytes 2 when regular definition updates?

Looks like Malwarebytes will (maybe) keep pushing definition updates out for older versions of Anti-Malware. They say "You may continue to use the older product version at your own risk, but ongoing protection updates are not guaranteed". Not sure if this includes definitions or if this is just for the application itself.

Malwarebytes Support - Home Products Lifecycle Policy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Even though you are using Windows 7, there is absolutely no reason to disable OS updates. Microsoft is still pushing important security patches for the system.
UAC up to max helps prevent background processes which you may not want.
Not that bad afterall, I like ESET and Zemana.

But for how long will they support Malwarebytes 2 when regular definition updates?

Probably not for much time. Mbam died for me when they tried to turn into a full AV. $$$ rules the world...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: given

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
OS security updates are extremely important!
Consider adding an additional on demand scanner(s).
What version of ESET are you running?
Other than the OS updates your config looks good!
Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Reactions: JM Safe and given
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.