Troubleshoot Windows 8.1 boot up very slow

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
My daughters computer boots very slow so I reset it and I only have windows security running along with adguard and winpatrol and boot is still slow...is this just how win 8 is or what?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
is this just how win 8 is or what?

Nope it's just you. Windows 8.1 boots up for me like I've got an SSD when all I've got is a 5400RPM HDD. ;)

Could be a various reasons as to why, here's some off the top of my head.

By reset to do you mean you used the Refresh option or the actual Reset option, (since they're difference It would be good to know)

1. Disable AdGuard from startup and see if it makes a difference. [Do you have any other programs in startup? Disable non-essential ones]
2. Do you have the August Service Pack Update installed? Could be to blame, I've avoided this update since it brings more harm than good.
3. Secure Boot can add up to 30 seconds to your boot time. While you could disable this, It'll be taking away a recommended security layer.
4. HDD wear and tear: Just how much time and use have you (or her) put into the HDD?
5. Remove any connected USB devices such as EXHDDs, USBs, keyboards, wired mouses and wireless mouse receivers etc and try again.
6. Type msconfig into Run, go to the Boot tab and tick the 'No GUI boot' box and restart to see if that made any difference.

If you've solved your issue let us know what you did to fix it. Thanks.

Reactions: Jack and Warrior
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How old is the computer, including hardware specs.?

Windows 8.1 killed one of our older computers' GPU. Also had noticeable slow booting times, with only WD on start-up. Meanwhile Windows 7 ran smoothly and no performance loss, or overheating.

Reactions: Jack
Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Nope it's just you. Windows 8.1 boots up for me like I've got an SSD when all I've got is a 5400RPM HDD. ;)

Could be a various reasons as to why, here's some off the top of my head.

By reset to do you mean you used the Refresh option or the actual Reset option, (since they're difference It would be good to know)

1. Disable AdGuard from startup and see if it makes a difference. [Do you have any other programs in startup? Disable non-essential ones]
2. Do you have the August Service Pack Update installed? Could be to blame, I've avoided this update since it brings more harm than good.
3. Secure Boot can add up to 30 seconds to your boot time. While you could disable this, It'll be taking away a recommended security layer.
4. HDD wear and tear: Just how much time and use have you (or her) put into the HDD?
5. Remove any connected USB devices such as EXHDDs, USBs, keyboards, wired mouses and wireless mouse receivers etc and try again.
6. Type msconfig into Run, go to the Boot tab and tick the 'No GUI boot' box and restart to see if that made any difference.

If you've solved your issue let us know what you did to fix it. Thanks.

No refresh, I RESET it.

2-I have all current updates installed.

4-We haven't had it very long, we bought it used.

5- done

6- will try it, thanks

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
My daughters computer boots very slow so I reset it and I only have windows security running along with adguard and winpatrol and boot is still slow...is this just how win 8 is or what?
Have you tried to uninstall some of the recent updates from Windows? That slowed down my PC's boot up.

Reactions: MrXidus
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.