Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I knew that Windows defender (and MSE) does not scan web traffic like avast webshield for example and many others.
Is this true for current versions or they have added such thing lately?
Thanks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows 8.1 with Windows Defender (real-time) enabled, there's a service that does scan Network traffic for known viruses.

Windows Defender Network Inspection Service*

Helps guard against intrusion attempts targeting known and newly discovered vulnerabilities in network protocols.

Web Protection / Shields provides a placebo effect on it's users, or can slow down your normal Internet browsing speed. You must know if a known malicious file is downloaded, Windows Defender will remove the threat.

*Does not exist in Windows 8, users must upgrade to Windows 8.1.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Windows 8.1 with Windows Defender (real-time) enabled, there's a service that does scan Network traffic for known viruses.

Windows Defender Network Inspection Service*

Helps guard against intrusion attempts targeting known and newly discovered vulnerabilities in network protocols.

Web Protection / Shields provides a placebo effect on it's users, or can slow down your normal Internet browsing speed. You must know if a known malicious file is downloaded, Windows Defender will remove the threat.

*Does not exist in Windows 8, users must upgrade to Windows 8.1.
So you say it does have? You confuse me a little as "targeting known and newly discovered vulnerabilities in network protocols" is not typical sugnatures for malware.

Brox

May 28, 2014
I'm having problems with Smartscreen filter in IE11 , don't know why but it never shows the message that the file was blocked by Smartscreen filter. And it's turned on of course.
I really can't figure it out, it always acts like it's turned off.
I tested dozens of links.
Windows Defender itself catches those links though, but not by smartscreen filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.