Advice Request Windows Anniversary companions apps safe to run

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intel_iRIS81

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2016
I've been running Windows Anniversary Update for about a week now being a Windows Insider. Currently running all windows security (Defender and Firewall) They definitely have improved security with this update. Defender in real time has taken action a few times and showing me a toast with some details. Since it has shown more automatic defensive tactics in the last 7 days than my last setup on Windows 10 did in 7 days i'm giving it a try for now. I'm also using adblock since extensions are now live in Microsoft Edge.

I have all items checked in defender including cloud protection and a few periodic offline scans.

Are there companion apps safe to run like a anti-exploit or any of those extras people run besides a full out AV or Malware app? I know Defender isn't checking every single thing possible. I just don't know what it isn't checking. I hate those overly complicated programs but love the ease of some like Hitman Pro Alert - That lists options and either enable it or disable it. Zemana Anti-Logger is another fav of mine also. So guys let me know.

FYI for guys who aren't running Anniversary build 1607 14393.5 . They definitely improved Win 10 with this one. Everything runs great. Start, reboot, shutdown have improved dramatically. Memory is used almost perfect on my 4GB ram system and I multi-task. Little tweaks here and there. They even enabled the option to have defender run periodic scans to allow it to be used with a full AV program.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Windows Security by itself is really good but you should probably run Zemana AntiLogger/Malware for a little extra scanning and protection.

Intel_iRIS81

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2016
Real-Time or On Demand ? I'm not taking away from my On-Demand methods, they are still there. I should have been more clear I'm more concerned about Real-Time additions. Can I run Anti-Logger, Anti-Exploit along side Windows Security? Zemana Malware would counteract defender in real time correct?

I just want to add todays Public release and the insider build over the last month increased what it does. They did increase its threat defense measures (Not sure how much but its light weight so I'm testing it)

I tried other AV's and they were all to resource heavy except Avira free.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Real-Time or On Demand ? I'm not taking away from my On-Demand methods, they are still there. I should have been more clear I'm more concerned about Real-Time additions. Can I run Anti-Logger, Anti-Exploit along side Windows Security? Zemana Malware would counteract defender in real time correct?

I just want to add todays Public release and the insider build over the last month increased what it does. They did increase its threat defense measures (Not sure how much but its light weight so I'm testing it)

I tried other AV's and they were all to resource heavy except Avira free.

You shouldn't have any trouble. Using Zemana (different due to being an anti malware and anti key logger) Malwarebytes Anti exploit (also won't cause problems because its another layer different from defender) Using another AV alongside defender though it auto disables itself. You probably t need much if your careful. Windows Defender, Firewall, Smartscreen, UAC, and Zemana should be enough. If you want to add an anti exploit there is not really any problem (I used to have MBAE myself.) :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You may try SecureAplus as a companion program, it is already capable for any new stable build.

Honestly any developers are already in the works to maintain it's reliability since adjustment will occur.

Intel_iRIS81

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2016
Thanks guys. I will probably change my security config here in the next week. I'm also running Adguard on a 2 week trial to see how Ilike it. I don't know much about SecureAplus is it a companion based type like Crystal Security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.