Windows defender stopped working

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
Microsoft security essentials disables windows defender because windows defender is only suposed to protect you when there is no av installed

Edit: And there is no reason to have both on because they are from the same company

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
Oh my... under win 7 they are both useless IMO. I uninstalled MSE & disabled Defender & installed Avast a while back. Both of these are totally useless in win 7 jmo. On win 8... I read they both are pretty good.

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
Oh my... under win 7 they are both useless IMO. I uninstalled MSE & disabled Defender & installed Avast a while back. Both of these are totally useless in win 7 jmo. On win 8... I read they both are pretty good.

Yes they seem to have little detection rate in antivirus tests but he/she was not asking that

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft Security Essentials, once installed will disable Windows Defender for Windows Vista and 7 as explained below:

Windows Defender in Vista and 7 is only an Anti-spyware product. MSE succeeds it.
Windows Defender in Windows 8 or later, is a full Antivirus product. MSE cannot be installed.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Backup?
On demand scanners?
Web Browser & extensions?
SP1 ?
Enable UAC if not on default settings

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.