App Review Windows Defender (Windows 8) - Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
D

Deleted member 178

Thanks for the test! Liked and subscribed. :)

Anyone know if there is any difference between Windows 8's WD and Windows 10's?

Win10 offers AMSI

What does this mean for you?
If you are a Windows user, the good news is that the benefits of the Antimalware Scan Interface automatically occur with Windows 10.

Malicious software that uses obfuscation and evasion techniques on Windows’ built-in scripting hosts will automatically be inspected at a much deeper level than ever before, providing additional levels of protection.

If you’re an Application developer, consider having your application call the Windows AMSI interface if you want some extra scanning and analysis of potentially malicious content.

If you are an antivirus software vendor, consider implementing support for the AMSI interface. When you do, your engine will have much deeper insight into the data that applications (including Windows’ built-in scripting hosts) consider potentially malicious.

Windows 10 to offer application developers new malware defenses

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
H

hjlbx

Like @Umbra states, but I will tell you in no uncertain terms that you shouldn't have any Windows scripting hosts (as well as interpreters and other vulnerable processes) enabled on your system in the first place. The vast majority of users have no need of them - and they are used by the almost all malware.

I'm not sure how good AMSI is - never tested it myself and haven't seen anyone else publish test results.

It can't be any better than Emsisoft's behavior blocker - which includes a command line parser.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.