Advice Request Windows Energy management question - How to stop Standby mode after 15 minutes?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Okay, since I use a desktop computer instead of a laptop I do not have to worry about a battery. So I have windows usually set to keep the monitor on. But The last 2 to 3 months I have noticed that at times Windows 11 automatically sets it so that the monitor switches to "Standby mode" so to speak after 15 minutes!? I have to set it back to "never" every time, and although at first I did not mind doing that, it is now fast becoming a little bit annoying. :cautious:

Is there a way for me to make sure that no longer happens?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Okay, since I use a desktop computer instead of a laptop I do not have to worry about a battery. So I have windows usually set to keep the monitor on. But The last 2 to 3 months I have noticed that at times Windows 11 automatically sets it so that the monitor switches to "Standby mode" so to speak after 15 minutes!? I have to set it back to "never" every time, and although at first I did not mind doing that, it is now fast becoming a little bit annoying. :cautious:

Is there a way for me to make sure that no longer happens?
To prevent your monitor from automatically switching to standby mode after 15 minutes in Windows 11, you can adjust the power settings. Here's how you can do it:

1. Open the "Settings" app by clicking on the Start menu and selecting the gear icon. Alternatively, you can press the Windows key + I to open it directly.

2. In the Settings app, click on the "System" category.

3. On the left sidebar, select "Power & sleep."

4. In the Power & sleep settings, locate the "Sleep" section.

5. Change the "Screen" dropdown menu to "Never."

By setting the screen timeout to "Never," you ensure that your monitor will stay on without entering standby mode due to inactivity.

Additionally, you may want to check your computer's advanced power settings to confirm that there are no conflicting settings. Here's how to access the advanced power settings:

1. In the Power & sleep settings, click on the "Additional power settings" link on the right side under the "Related settings" section.

2. This will open the Power Options in the Control Panel. Look for the power plan that is currently selected (e.g., Balanced, High performance).

3. Click on "Change plan settings" next to the selected power plan.

4. On the next screen, click on "Change advanced power settings."

5. In the Advanced settings dialog box, navigate to the "Display" section.

6. Expand the "Turn off display after" option and set it to a value higher than 15 minutes or select "Never" to ensure the display never turns off due to inactivity.

7. Click "Apply" and then "OK" to save the changes.

By adjusting both the regular power settings in the Settings app and the advanced power settings, you can ensure that your monitor stays on and does not go into standby mode after 15 minutes of inactivity.

Reactions: Zero Knowledge

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I have done both methods, ( Should have mentioned that. ) but it still keeps happening that Windows resets it to 15 minutes at least once a week or so. That is why I came her in the hopes some one might know what is happening.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.