Windows Server 2012 for Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
I've acquired a license for Windows Server 2012 and I'm planning on using it for a new PC build. I'm going to follow this guide on how to turn on features which are needed. Would like to hear if anyone else has tried this and what, if any, issues have been experienced. Thanks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In case you didn't see, there's an automated Windows Server to Workstation Converter on the same site, in the link below:
http://www.win2012workstation.com/converter/

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
Earth said:
In case you didn't see, there's an automated Windows Server to Workstation Converter on the same site, in the link below:
http://www.win2012workstation.com/converter/

Thanks Earth, handy tool, although I may go the manual route to just enable features that I need.

P

Plexx

I asked at work since a colleague converted his machine to a workstation.

He used the converter due to the easier mode of configuring everything and also because he had issues when manually configuring some stuff which included something about the Xinput dll via cmd as well as disabling the Structured Exception Handling Overwrite Protection and Data Execution Prevention since it kept giving errors on some games as he is a gamer.

He still has issues with the some games including the online version of Ghost Recon. As a result, he uses his other rig for most games.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
I hope you are using a server motherboard that contains two sockets so that two physical cpu can be used, a lot of ram (more than 64GB; todays mainstream mobo supports 64GB ram at best) and that you run the machine 24/7 otherwise you should run a normal OS that can handle two physical cpu, such as Win 7 pro and win 8 pro. I don't know which Linux distributor offers free OS that can utilize two cpu's. I believe Ubuntu can handle two physical processors without a problem (the max for Ubunto 12.04LTS 64bit is 256cores (threads)).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Valentin, What kind of hardware supports that? And how much would they cost?

Thanks for the useful info. :D

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Earth said:
Valentin, What kind of hardware supports that? And how much would they cost?

Thanks for the useful info. :D

Hard to say; it depends if you go with single, dual socket or quad socket, what features the motherboards should have, what cpu you select, if you install maxium cpu at the beginning or you first start with one and then slowly add cpus till the max amount, what gpu will you use (professional gpu vs costumer gpu), what case will the components be in (in a rack/blade or casual case that most consumer would buy), what os will you use (server or customer), what power supply is needed, and so on.

So there are many factors that depends the costs. I will give you example of a server that would be a mid-range server.
Price
Motherboard: SuperMicro X9DRL-3F 350
CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon Processor E5-2620 790
GPU: VTX3D Radeon HD 7870 Black 210
PSU: Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W 200
Storage: OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid SE 1TB 225
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 2TB 80
Memory: Samsung 16GB DDR3 PC3-8500 CL7 180
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 100

The sum is 2135 € but I am added more so the price is a bit smaller.

Is this expensive? no; some costumer and may not even give the same performance what the example would; for instance the to cpu equals more or less an i7-3960X from price, the PSU is 1000 W platinum meaning you will have for about 900W at your disposal, The revodriver is an amazing drive and will wipe the floor with a combo of ssd and hdd at the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.