Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft announced today that the Store version of Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is generally available for Windows 10 and 11 customers.

With the switch to WSL in the Store, Redmond also moves away from delivering WSL as an optional operating system component.

While both provide the same user experience, with the Microsoft Store version being the default, users will get faster updates and servicing (as soon as they are available) instead of waiting for a Windows operating system update.

Additionally, following customer requests, all Windows 10 users can now use Linux GUI apps after updating to the Microsoft Store version.

"Today the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) in the Microsoft Store is dropping its "Preview" label and becomes generally available with our latest release," Windows Developer Platform Program Manager Craig Loewen said.

"We are also making the Store version of WSL the default for new users who run wsl --install and easily upgradeable by running wsl --update for existing users. "In response to the WSL community's requests, WSL in the Store will now also be available on Windows 10 in addition to Windows 11. So, Windows 10 users will also be able to enjoy all of the latest features for WSL, including systemd and Linux GUI app support!"

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Question to techies

As far as I understand processes running in WSL as root only have standard user rights in the Windows host OS. So I wondered whether running in for example Firefox in user mode in WSL would have security benefits over running Firefox as unelevated user on an admin account. As far as I understand the WSL2 is technically a VM, but because it is optimized for integration with the Windows desktop, it probably is a bad choice for isolation (assuming that when it is not designed for isolation one should not use it for isolation).

On the other hand, root access of WSL2 only having standard user rights in Windows Host and the cloaking benefits of running a different browser on a different OS (security through obscurity) does appeal to me. After all Firefox in Linux should be more secure that Firefox in Windows.

As an interested amateur I hope some of the technically more advanced users of this forum could provide more insights.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.