Solved Windows updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

luke.douthwaite

Thread author
Hi, what is everyone's opinions about Windows updates? Are they all necessary?

I have noticed on one of my laptops that after a few installs on some windows updates (not sure exactly which ones) that they become incredibly laggy :(

Any feedback on the issue?

Thanks,

Luke

P

Plexx

Thread author
I usually give a few days before installing windows updates.

Lets just say I had a rather bad experience with XP's SP3 when it was first rolled out.

I believe you can still look for latest windows updates installed and manually remove them to see which one is causing the lag if any is.

However, please ensure you make a backup image before doing the above. That is my recommendation.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not all Windows Updates are necessary, but I would suggest you install the Important and Critical updates, Service Packs are recommended.

Optional ones as are down to the users choice, such as Silverlight, Bing Bar, Microsoft Security Essentials, Browser Choice. These can usually be uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs.

You can check which of the recent updates were installed, and find out what may be the cause. Remember to reboot after installing a lot of updates.

Upvote 0

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
luke.douthwaite said:

In my opinion they are nessecary because if you were not to update then that will leave your computer vulnerable to attacks. As I understand if you don't update and you were surfing the web you may come across an exploit which will find holes in your system (which is what the updates patch) and will execute a malicious file through your browser. For optional updates I would look at them and see if they are like the bing desktop or something like that that I don't think is nessecary.

Upvote 0

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
His question pertains to windows updates. For browsing the internet you need to make sure not only your browser is updated but all the addons as well. Make sure all your adobe programs and java are updated as well.

Malware Maniac said:
luke.douthwaite said:

In my opinion they are nessecary because if you were not to update then that will leave your computer vulnerable to attacks. As I understand if you don't update and you were surfing the web you may come across an exploit which will find holes in your system (which is what the updates patch) and will execute a malicious file through your browser. For optional updates I would look at them and see if they are like the bing desktop or something like that that I don't think is nessecary.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I always do Windows Updates then when i observe that their installation was successful, i delete the backup installer.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
You should have Windows Updates set to Automatic and let it install them for you. On automatic configuration, it only installs important and critical updates which leaves out drivers and other bundled Microsoft programs unless they are already installed it will deliver the updates.

Updates delivered through automatic configuration have went through extensive testing before being offered. Sometimes they might cause problems but that is a chance you have to take to make sure the latest vulnerabilities are patched, performance issues and bug fixes.

Manual running Windows Updates should give you options to install other updates that might update drivers, install Microsoft bundles and other updates that might be helpful to your system. Always read the description of manual updates to see if they are something that you really need if not then no need to install them.

Thanks.:D

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Thread author
I make it a habit to always clean up and defrag after running updates, most of the time, this is the source of the lag.

Upvote 0

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Unfortunately they are necessary, it is the way Microsoft patches vulnerabilities in their operating system. Without updates those vulnerabilities remain there for malware to exploit them. Are you using XP? In my experience they are doing a better job of self-maintaining Windows 7.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I might have an idea to what may be causing this, after some Windows Updates the service .NET Framework (x64 or x86) consumes about 50% of the CPU for a few minutes.

If you leave your PC running while this does whatever it does -not to sure what/why it does this- then come back it should run smoothly.

Upvote 0
L

luke.douthwaite

Thread author
Littlebits said:
You should have Windows Updates set to Automatic and let it install them for you. On automatic configuration, it only installs important and critical updates which leaves out drivers and other bundled Microsoft programs unless they are already installed it will deliver the updates.

Updates delivered through automatic configuration have went through extensive testing before being offered. Sometimes they might cause problems but that is a chance you have to take to make sure the latest vulnerabilities are patched, performance issues and bug fixes.

Manual running Windows Updates should give you options to install other updates that might update drivers, install Microsoft bundles and other updates that might be helpful to your system. Always read the description of manual updates to see if they are something that you really need if not then no need to install them.

Thanks.:D

Thanks, I might give that a try, I normally just go ahead and tick everything I see there lol, silly I know.

umbrapolaris said:
I always do Windows Updates then when i observe that their installation was successful, i delete the backup installer.

What do you mean when you say delete the backup installer?

thewolfsmith72 said:
I make it a habit to always clean up and defrag after running updates, most of the time, this is the source of the lag.

What procedure do you do after windows updates?

bogdan said:
Unfortunately they are necessary, it is the way Microsoft patches vulnerabilities in their operating system. Without updates those vulnerabilities remain there for malware to exploit them. Are you using XP? In my experience they are doing a better job of self-maintaining Windows 7.

It is Windows 7.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
After a succesfull installation of WU, i use a tool to delete the backup installer (Windows update leave an installer in case you need to uninstall the update).
That allow me to save space in my HDD.

Upvote 0

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I wouldn't necessarily blame windows updates, installing and uninstalling software leaves junk behind too.

Thanks, I might give that a try, I normally just go ahead and tick everything I see there lol, silly I know.
Just install those "important" updates that shsould be checked by default. The Optional updates could be:
  • Driver updates, I personally use the drivers from the producer's website if available.
  • Updates that "resolve issues" according to the description, some are performance issues that might help some might not be as useful as the others.
  • Microsoft "stuff" like Silverlight, Bing Desktop (whatever that is) that I never install unless I really need it (so far I can manage without)

Give Windows 7 a few days to adjust itself to the new updates. By the way, you should leave the Superfetch and Task Scheduler services with their default values (Auto) and in Task Scheduler you shouldn't disable the Auto Defrag that Win7 does. Some tweaking apps disable these making more harm than good.

Try to solve any errors in Event Viewer if possible.

Upvote 0
L

luke.douthwaite

Thread author
umbrapolaris said:
After a succesfull installation of WU, i use a tool to delete the backup installer (Windows update leave an installer in case you need to uninstall the update).
That allow me to save space in my HDD.

What is the tools name? :p

bogdan said:
I wouldn't necessarily blame windows updates, installing and uninstalling software leaves junk behind too.

Just install those "important" updates that shsould be checked by default. The Optional updates could be:
  • Driver updates, I personally use the drivers from the producer's website if available.
  • Updates that "resolve issues" according to the description, some are performance issues that might help some might not be as useful as the others.
  • Microsoft "stuff" like Silverlight, Bing Desktop (whatever that is) that I never install unless I really need it (so far I can manage without)

Give Windows 7 a few days to adjust itself to the new updates. By the way, you should leave the Superfetch and Task Scheduler services with their default values (Auto) and in Task Scheduler you shouldn't disable the Auto Defrag that Win7 does. Some tweaking apps disable these making more harm than good.

Try to solve any errors in Event Viewer if possible.

Well this did occur when rebooting after a Windows updates, the machine was running perfectly fine until the reboot. I think I will have to learn to only get the ones as you say are defaulted by Windows update and not include others. I normally get the drivers for graphics and sound card etc from their own sites but on the odd occasion have forgot, this could of been one of them times, not 100% sure. I am aware that it could be one of the drivers that could of made this happen.

Thanks,

Luke

P.S - this forum is a excellent place to be, I have been on MANY sites and the response time from A LOT of guys on here is excellent. There is always someone here to help as well as give general advice, I cannot thank you all enough for help and advice I have received so far :D

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
For what do you use this laptop? If that was mine and if a less "resouce hog" OS can serve me well, I would have used something like Ubuntu instead, but the choice is up to you.

Have you tried something like PC Decrapifier? This removes unwanted programs that come bundled with new PCs and others like toolbars: http://pcdecrapifier.com/
Even if the PC is not new it will help. :)

I have never faced any kind of these issues when Installing Updates.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Thread author
luke.douthwaite said:
thewolfsmith72 said:

What procedure do you do after windows updates?

Since I have a couple forms of back up, such as disk, and factory reset, i do not keep but only one restore point on my system at a time. So i use Ccleaner to clean junk files ect, then use the registry cleaner in Ccleaner, I also use the Tools/System restore in it to delete all but one restore point, then I defrag with Auslogics disk defrag and optimize. Usually when windows pushes updates through, there are a few of them, and this will eliminate all the junk and pull everything back together.. This is my way of doing so, not everyone does it this way, but it works great on my machine.

As Earth stated, any time you install and uninstall any programs ect, it will leave junk..

Upvote 0

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
I install everything win updates has given be till date...the thing that i didnt install yet is the bing desktop..i dont want to slow down my laptop anyways with bing stuff :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.