Windows Widgets Security Hole Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 28, 2011
windows-7-screens1-jljkj.jpg

Whether you see Windows Vista and Windows 7 Gadgets as handy tools or a blight upon a pristine desktop, you might want to shut them off for safety's sake. Mickey Shkatov and Toby Kohlenberg have found that the desktop widgets' web-based code have flaws that would allow malicious Gadgets, or even hijacked legitimate Gadgets, to compromise a PC without having to go through the usual avenues of attack. Microsoft's short-term answer to the vulnerability is a drastic one, though: a stopgap patch disables Gadgets entirely, leaving just a barren desktop in its wake. There's no word on a Gadget-friendly solution arriving before Kohlenberg and Shkatov present at the Black Hat Conference on July 26th, but we suspect Microsoft's ultimate answer is to move everyone to Windows 8, where Gadgets aren't even an option. We understand the importance of preventing breaches, of course -- we're just disappointed that we'll have to forgo miniature stock tickers and weather forecasts a little sooner than expected.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/11/microsoft-advises-nuking-windows-gadgets-after-security-hole/

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Don't use any Windows Widgets things, never have. On the laptop that has Vista, it's slow as it is and having them would make it go even slower.

P

Plexx

Never seen the need for gadgets. I rather use Rainmeter for monitoring etc, while other stuff just run in manually.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Biozfear said:
I rather use Rainmeter for monitoring etc, while other stuff just run in manually.

Agreed that is what I use as well for Windows 7. Great skins you can get for it as well.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Rainmeter too, Windows Gadgets are heavy on RAM.

The ones that you used to use looked good, but had to remove them for the reason that they used to much.

D

Deleted member 178

yes, i removed them for the same reason, RAM & CPU usage too high

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.