windows XP antivirus 2013

notorious_rn

Thread author
Jun 12, 2012
what is the best and lightest antivirus for windows XP
with The following specs:

pentium 3 2.4GHZ processor
256 mb ram

im asking this coz my buddy still have this vintage computer at home... thanks in advance for all kinds of suggestions you may give.

1) avast
2) webroot
3) MSE
4) avira
5) AVG
6) Panda cloud

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I'd say MSE. Don't need much, plus with that you can use the Windows Firewall.

technology

Level 7
Verified
Jul 5, 2013
I agree with Mclovin, MSE is fine and enough but if you need better protection then BDAV free will be v.good and light on system

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
technology said:
I agree with Mclovin, MSE is fine and enough but if you need better protection then BDAV free will be v.good and light on system

I'd still go with MSE, as you don't need much to dun it, plus can install and forget.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I would use avast or webroot, but for that old of a pc it's best to use something really light such as appguard or voodooshield

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Overkill said:
I would use avast or webroot, but for that old of a pc it's best to use something really light such as appguard or voodooshield

Didn't think of them, I only went off the list he has there.

Z

ZeroDay

Personally I'd go with Avast free and add a third party firewall, the firewall in xp isn't as secure as later iterations of the Windows OS. Perhaps try zonealarm free if you don't want to deal with hips to.

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
I used VIPRE Antivirus Premium (now VIPRE Internet Security) on computer with AMD Athlon XP 1.0 Ghz and 512 MB RAM and I can recommend it.

You can install also Webroot SecureAnywhere or Panda Cloud AV :)

xpressive

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2013
BitDefender free or MSE

lightweight and good.

Avast and Avira

Not likely, such a resource hog.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
I would recommend either Avast free or MSE.....with firewalls like Private firewall, Online Armor, Comodo firewall or Zonealarm.....

James Edward

Jul 5, 2013
I would like to suggest you to use either Avast antivirus or immunet antivirus.They both are good and provides best antivirus protection.

souhrid

Level 5
Jun 29, 2012
I would recommend webroot it's very light on the system and provides good protection..

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
James Edward said:
immunet antivirus.They both are good and provides best antivirus protection.

I'm not quite sure here. Wasn't that good, last time I did a test on it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A process called "avast.setup" in Avast also consumes 40-50% CPU usage during signature updates just after log in, so be wary of that.

jkiller

Level 1
Oct 31, 2013
The best Anti-Virus for Windows XP [2013]

AV-TEST conducted a new series of tests to determine the best anti-virus currently available for Windows XP which will be soon discontinued. The independent IT-Security institute tested 25 anti-virus software.

the-best-antivirus.png

As you can see, Microsoft’s very own Security Essentials 4.3 is still considered as a baseline. Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 provides the best security to Windows XP computers, followed by F-Secure Internet Security, Bitdefender Internet Security 2014, and Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2014.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.