Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Two things are infinite, human stupidity and WinRAR's trial period :whistle:

What's new in the latest version

Version 5.60 beta 1

1. We updated WinRAR graphics.

We are grateful to Home - weirdsgn studio and Custom icon design, toolbar icons and menu icon design, software identity design, quality icon designer of vista icons designers participated in this endeavor and proud to announce that WinRAR uses the new icon set prepared by Aditya Nugraha Putra from Home - weirdsgn studio.

Previous WinRAR icons are available as interface theme here: https://rarlab.com/themes/WinRAR_Classic_48x36.theme.rar

2. "Repair" command efficiency is improved for recovery record protected RAR5 archives. Now it can detect deletions and insertions of unlimited size also as shuffled data including data taken from several recovery record protected archives and merged into a single file in arbitrary order.

3. "Turn PC off when done" archiving option is changed to "When done" drop-down list, so you can turn off, hibernate or sleep your PC after completing archiving.

4. Use -ioff or -ioff1 command line switch to turn PC off, -ioff2 to hibernate and -ioff3 to sleep your PC after completing an operation.

5. If encoding of comment file specified in -z<file> switch is not defined with -sc switch, RAR attempts to detect UTF-8, UTF-16LE and UTF-16BE encodings based on the byte order mask and data validity tests.

6. WinRAR attempts to detect ANSI, OEM and UTF-8 encodings of ZIP archive comments automatically.

7. "Internal viewer/Use DOS encoding" option in "Settings/Viewer" is replaced with "Internal viewer/Autodetect encoding". If "Autodetect encoding" is enabled, the internal viewer attempts to detect ANSI (Windows), OEM (DOS), UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings.

8. Normally the Windows Explorer context menu contains only extraction commands if single archive has been right-clicked. You can override
this by specifying one or more space-separated masks in "Always display archiving items for" option in Settings/Integration/Context menu items", so archiving commands are always displayed for these file types even if the file was recognized as the archive. If you wish both archiving and extraction commands present for all archives, place "*" here.

9. SFX module "SetupCode" command accepts an optional integer parameter allowing to control mapping of setup program and SFX own error codes. It is also accessible as "Exit code adjustment" option in "Advanced SFX options/Setup" dialog.

10. New "Show more information" WinRAR command line -im switch. It can be used with "t" command to issue a message also in case of
successful archive test result. Without this switch "t" command completes silently if no errors are found.

This switch is applicable only to WinRAR.exe and ignored by console RAR.exe.

11. If a wrong password is entered when unpacking an encrypted file in the ZIP archive, WinRAR proposes to enter a valid password for the same file again instead of aborting extraction.

12. If a wrong password is entered when opening or unpacking RAR archive with encrypted file names, WinRAR proposes to enter a valid password again instead of aborting the operation. Previous versions already did so for RAR archives with encrypted file data, but aborted for archives with file name encryption.

13. WinRAR recognizes GZIP files with arbitrary data preceding an actual GZIP archive, such as .scexe firmware files.

14. @filelist parameter can be specified in "Files to add" field of archiving dialog. In this case WinRAR will attempt the list of archiving
files from 'file list' file, which should be the plain text, one file name per line.

15. Info dialog:
a) compression ratio graph is updated;
b) "Names and data" is displayed in "Encryption" field for archives with encrypted file names.

16. Full archive name is displayed if the mouse pointer is placed over an archive name in the operation progress window. It can be useful if an archive name is lengthy and does not fit to available window space.

17. If -ts1 switch is used with -u or -f, file time comparison is performed with 1-second precision. Previously in such case, we could wrongly treat an adding file as newer than archived just because we compared the high precision adding file time against the low precision archived file time.

18. "Update" and "Fresh" commands ('u' and 'f' in the command line mode) quit immediately if no files are to be updated. Previously they created a temporary archive before quitting when updating archives with recovery record or quick open information.

19. Prompt is issued after creating 500 volumes from WinRAR GUI shell, so the user can continue or quit further archiving. It is done to prevent
creating many thousands of volumes in case of wrongly entered volume size.

20. WinRAR uses megabytes instead of bytes as default units for volume size field in the archiving dialog.

21. "Repair" command issues "Recovery record is corrupt" message after repairing RAR5 archive containing a broken recovery record. Previously such message was issued only by "Test" command and "Repair" handled most of recovery record damages silently.

22. Bugs fixed:
a) fixed potential security issues when processing corrupt RAR archives;
b) non-English characters in TAR files with PAX extended headers were not displayed correctly;
c) "rar x arcname.rar .." command unpacked files to a current folder instead of its parent;
d) pasting files from Windows Explorer to archive opened in WinRAR blocked further copy and paste operations in Explorer until archiving was finished;
e) SFX module issued "The specified password is incorrect" message infinitely not prompting for the correct password once a wrong password was entered;
f) folders time was always set when extracting ZIP archives even if "File time" options in the extraction dialog were turned off;
g) if "Delete archive: Always" was selected when extracting and the user pressed "Cancel" in the file overwrite or password prompt,
an archive could be deleted even after canceling extraction for .zip and .7z formats.

Download: WinRAR 5.60 Beta 1 32-bit | 2.8 MB (Shareware)
Download: WinRAR 5.60 Beta 1 64-bit | 3.0 MB
Link: WinRAR Website | WinRAR Themes

D

Deleted member 65228

7zip isn't actually stellar and has an abysmal security record. Winrar has been under continuous refinement/development since 1995 and has a good track record. I prefer to pay for things and support ongoing development. Free is for peasants. :p
7-zip : Security vulnerabilities

There's two recent vulnerabilities listed here, interesting, I did not realise of them. I know some AV vendors use 7z components as well in their software to use for extracting archives.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
r09vofM.jpg

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
7zip's dynamic library is used by majority of AVs for unpacking while scanning. I personaly use 7zip for being able to open almost anything and for its encryption capabilities.
And, of course, a proud peasant over here! :D

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Why do people even use WinRAR paid?

There's 7zip which is free...

If you just unpack archives once in a while, then WinRar or 7-zip are basically the same; but for sharing purposes (especially with large files), WinRar is still better. It allows you to create RAR files, and these are better supported by other archivers, web apps, video players, comic book readers etc, when compared to 7Z files. But the real benefit to me is the ability to add a recovery record to RAR files. That can save you much hassle when the file you downloaded or sent to another person turned out to be corrupt. On the other hand, 7zip on default settings create solid 7z archives; then your archive loses a few bytes and you're back to download or send the whole file again because a large solid block is sometimes irrecoverable.
Usually, I keep both 7zip and WinRar on my PC because why not? And (almost) nobody pays for WinRar these days.

Reactions: BoraMurdar

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
A bit off topic, but i bought a WinRAR licence many moons ago but recently mislaid the key. So I sent them an email explaining my predicament and they replied back saying, even though the purchase was 15 years ago, they would supply me with a new key. Now that's what I call support.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

A bit off topic, but i bought a WinRAR licence many moons ago but recently mislaid the key. So I sent them an email explaining my predicament and they replied back saying, even though the purchase was 15 years ago, they would supply me with a new key. Now that's what I call support.

Now you've reminded - a few years ago I had a similar issue, explaining I purchased a bunch of seats and lost my key. They responded back upgrading me to a corporate unlimited license key. They have amazing support, and I really think they appreciate people who pay for it. (y)

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
7zip isn't actually stellar and has an abysmal security record. Winrar has been under continuous refinement/development since 1995 and has a good track record. I prefer to pay for things and support ongoing development. Free is for peasants. :p
I feel the same way. I've been using WinRAR for years after having used WinZip (the gold standard back in the day) for a long time. I think I have about a half dozen WinRAR licenses. I like to support the continued development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.