Advice Request With this amount of tools I completely lost myself

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Alexai

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 12, 2023
Hi,

I'll be honest, I'm tired to follow these tools I don't understand. I've not time and mind to study them. I just wanna remove modifies made with them.

I prefer DefenderUI. Maybe I miss important things, but I dunno what, so ...

with sadness 😔

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
From the manual of Hard_Configurator manual:
FULL UNINSTALLATION.
1. Run Hard_Configurator (close ConfigureDefender, SwitchDefaultDeny
DocumentAntiExploit, and other instances of Hard_Configurator).
2. Press <Tools> button and next <Uninstall Hard_Configurator> button.
3. Follow the displayed instructions.

REMARKS
After Hard_Configurator uninstallation:
1. The registry values tweaked by Hard_Configurator are set to Windows defaults!!!
2. The System Restore is turned ON. It is good to keep this setting ON, when
installing security programs. If not required, it can be manually turned
OFF, by using the Control Panel or running the Windows tool:
SystemPropertiesProtection.exe .
3. The DocumentsAntiExploit tool is copied to the Public Desktop, and it is
available to manage the MS Office and Adobe Acrobat Reader XI/DC settings
on the particular account. Do not delete it, until you are sure that its
protection is turned OFF, on all user accounts.
So, Hard_Configurator Tools has a button for uninstall.
After that, In DocumentsAntiExploit set all options to OFF.
Reboot and all is uninstalled.

Alexai

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 12, 2023
Which tools?
Well,
I've never used Documents_AntiExploit, cause I haven't adobe acrobat nor ms office ( I use AbiWord),
I deleted all FirewallHardening_3000 rules - I use WFC at the moment,

I don't remember if I've used ConfigureDefender, Hard_Configurator, SimpleWindowsHardening on this windows 11 installation.

Many thanks

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and Nevi

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Well,
I've never used Documents_AntiExploit, cause I haven't adobe acrobat nor ms office ( I use AbiWord),

I don't remember if I've used ConfigureDefender, Hard_Configurator, SimpleWindowsHardening on this windows 11 installation.

Many thanks

Yes, that was an overkill (my condolences). :)
For most users (who use Microsoft Defender), the sufficient tool will be ConfigureDefender.
The rest can be easily uninstalled:

1698135540061.png

1698135718762.png

Next you can apply ConfigureDefender or DefenderUI (but not both).

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
Well,

Many thanks
You make it yourself too complicated. No need to install or use everything you come across here on MWT.
Especially if you have no idea what you are doing. If you have a backup, restore to a point before you installed all the tools ( as you call them )
Then when possible , install a security suite and enjoy your browsing again.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Well,

Many thanks
First id like to say there is no offense meant by the following words I'm about to post here.

This is a perfect example of why, advising average users to use advanced tools they do not understand is less effective than teaching them the basics. The odds are higher they will damage their system long before an infection ever gets the chance too.

Let's look at the forum for a minute shall we. How many users here past level 5 get infected regularly? Are you all running the same security? Do you think maybe it's because you have learned enough basics to avoid becoming infected?

I can not stress this enough, help users learn the basics, quit advising just to throw something on their system "it's like a band-aid on an ax wound".

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
MT members are probably above-average users (in security matters) and often like to struggle with more demanding tasks.:)
According to Hard_Configurator, I would like to recall that it is intended for advanced users (as I mentioned in the OP in the H_C thread).

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

MT members are probably above-average users (in security matters) and often like to struggle with more demanding tasks.:)
According to Hard_Configurator, I would like to recall that it is intended for advanced users (as I mentioned in the OP in the H_C thread).
As i mentioned, no offense meant to anyone, and in no way does this reflect on your product, just trying to make a point, as i have seen many examples of users that are not prepared for some of the tools and things they are trying here, especially when they are still doing things from basics they have not learned yet. I see many users saying here just throw this on your system and configure it this way and your fine. This is not the answer to helping them and i know you understand this.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
As i mentioned, no offense meant to anyone, and in no way does this reflect on your product, just trying to make a point, as i have seen many examples of users that are not prepared for some of the tools and things they are trying here, especially when they are still doing things from basics they have not learned yet. I see many users saying here just throw this on your system and configure it this way and your fine. This is not the answer to helping them and i know you understand this.

I would say realistically, 75% of the users here are more advanced than I am. I could learn to use something like the Windows Hard_Configurator, but after all these years of running Windows, I know how it "should" operate, respond, load apps, run apps etc. that my concern would be that I may have a hard time figuring out what may have caused a new issue, why this or that isn't responding as it normally does without totally uninstalling, or resetting back to a previous non-hardened state. The other 75% know what they're doing, and thank goodness for Andy providing that tool for them and that they know how to use it :)

So in a way, I'm one of those you are talking about. But, I do not run or install anything I haven't researched or understood. With uBlock, TrafficLight, having gone through Windows Privacy and Permissions settings, Chrome settings, AV settings etc. at least I have a better idea and chance of knowing what may have caused an issue, and am able to backtrack to figure it out more easily. I'll probably never use the Hard_Configuator, and that is why :) ConfigureDefender and WFC do make sense to me though, and I understand how to use those, thanks to this forum and the members here :)

Now, I don't know who the other 25% are here, but I thought my 75% number was pretty safe :) :)

Last edited:

Alexai

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 12, 2023
Yes, that was an overkill (my condolences). :)
For most users (who use Microsoft Defender), the sufficient tool will be ConfigureDefender.
The rest can be easily uninstalled:

View attachment 279340

View attachment 279341

Next you can apply ConfigureDefender or DefenderUI (but not both).
Is there no way to know if I used them (ConfigureDefender, Hard_Configurator, SimpleWindowsHardening) in the past?

I wanna clarify I'm doing a cleaning of my system. I've to reset other things like O&OShutUp too and others.

Reactions: Nevi and CyberTech

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Is there no way to know if I used them (ConfigureDefender, Hard_Configurator, SimpleWindowsHardening) in the past?

I wanna clarify I'm doing a cleaning of my system. I've to reset other things like O&OShutUp too and others.

If you installed H_C, you should see its shortcut on the Desktop. The H_C is installed in C:\Windows\Hard_Configurator.
If you uninstall H_C, then the ConfigureDefender, FirewallHardening, and even SimpleWindowsHardening settings will be removed. Windows default settings will apply. If you use DefenderUI, then some settings can change to default ones (I am not sure - I never tried it).

If I correctly remember, ConfigureDefender uses similar native Defender settings as DefenderUI.

Last edited:

NewbyUser

Level 2
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2021
If I correctly remember, ConfigureDefender uses similar native Defender settings as DefenderUI.

You're correct, the settings are the essentially the same, your help file is more informative, but defenderui's is more accessible. They add a few settings you don't have, update frequency and the ability to reload corrupt definitions, as well as making it easier to do scans.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I think that the best advice for average users is not to use any tools. This can protect them for several years. The chances of infections are probably similar to the chances of being seriously injured in a traffic accident.

Better protection could be applied only by security-oriented users, like many MT members. But there is a catch. More knowledge of security matters usually causes more safety without adding any tools. So, we have a kind of paradox. People who need tools cannot handle them, and people who can handle tools do not need them. Anyway, there are some scenarios when adding tools can make sense for home users:
  1. The security-oriented user likes using some tools.
  2. Advanced user (home Administrator) wants to use tools for protecting home users.
The Hard_Configurator application and all Hard_Configurator tools are such tools. They should not be used just for maximizing protection, but rather to increase safety and minimize the time needed to maintain the computers of home users.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I think that the best advice for average users is not to use any tools. This can protect them for several years. The chances of infections are probably similar to the chances of being seriously injured in a traffic accident.

Better protection could be applied only by security-oriented users, like many MT members. But there is a catch. More knowledge of security matters usually causes more safety without adding any tools. So, we have a kind of paradox. People who need tools cannot handle them, and people who can handle tools do not need them. Anyway, there are some scenarios when adding tools can make sense for home users:
  2. Advanced user (home Administrator) wants to use tools for protecting home users.
The Hard_Configurator application and all Hard_Configurator tools are such tools. They should not be used just for maximizing protection, but rather to increase safety and minimize the time needed to maintain the computers of home users.
This accurately sums up most tools for any OS hardening, and that of Defender Antivirus.

IMO, Microsoft's default (or recommended) settings for OS security are balanced for both ends, but there are always grey areas where it cannot accommodate for both. And that is where third party apps come into play.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I agree with Andy Ful that the Hard_ Configurator program is a program for advanced security users and must be understood and should not be used by those who do not understand it.
In my case, I still use Windows Defender + Hard_ Configurator + Configurator Defender and nothing else adds any other security applications and I have no problems with PC security.
I am very pleased with this configuration.
keep it up Andy.
thanks for your great work and commitment.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

As I stated above, no offense intended. A story to tell i have of why i find it imperative to help average users in the right direction.
I had just gotten my first computer "many years ago" and was studying online to get certified through a course when i got nailed by a nasty piece of malware that rendered my machine unusable. Upon going around to local shops, i found they wanted to charge me the same amount of money to "disinfect" my machine as i paid for it, i thought to myself well thats silly, i will just go buy a new one, so i did. Two weeks later while searching security solutions online i got nailed again clicking a link i thought was to a legit security product. I went to a local library, looked up the symptoms and what i seen and found i could remove it with an application, so i managed to get this application installed on the system and remove the infection "what lead me to all this to begin with". Now im determined to put something on my system so that never happens again. I join a forum much like this one, and the very first product i was recommended was CIS "comodo internet security" along with some user settings recommended by those members. Now this would be fine in some case but not with CIS and certainly they did not account for different machines, softwares, drivers, ect,ect and of course those settings, locked my system down so tight it was unusable, i forced to learn how to clean install a system at that point. Thankfully i seemed to be a natural at learning these things or that would have cost me even more money as i needed a system. See where im going with this.

This post of mine up above just happened to land in your thread because of an example of someone not ready for tools as such, it was never intended to cause you strife or shadow your product. Im trying to help users like i once was, not take a hard road. Not when they can be taught basics and learn to be careful without the need to go through all that.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

Ultimate Vision,​

No offense taken.:)
Furthermore, I fully agree with you (according to average users). I am glad that this topic was presented here. It was important to me from the beginning when I created Hard_Configurator. There is a chapter about setup overkill in the H_C manual.

People on MT have usually an experimental spirit, so they often land with a kind of overkill. It takes time until the right setup is established, and different users will usually end with different setups.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.