WordPress Brute Force Attacks - A Major Concern in 2019

larsonreever

Thread author
May 31, 2019
Brute force attacks are common against web services. Any website is a potential target. However, criminal actors usually choose the most popular to increase their chances of success. WordPress is one of their favorite targets. This platform is so popular that out of one million top websites on the Internet, over 75% are created using WordPress. Being such a strong market leader makes WordPress an attractive target for attackers. One popular type of attack is password brute force on WordPress websites.

brute force attack wordpress

One of the methods many hackers use to access a WordPress site is to launch a brute force attack. Like any hacking attempt, these attacks are intended to allow hackers to access the system so that they can delete content, add their own content, or perform other Machiavellian actions. A brute force attack is one of the easiest ways to access a system.

Before diving in further you must know about What is Brute Force Attack, its impact, consequences and how to protect your WordPress site from brute force attack.

What are your views on this?

Reactions: shmu26

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Brute force attacks are common against web services. Any website is a potential target. However, criminal actors usually choose the most popular to increase their chances of success. WordPress is one of their favorite targets. This platform is so popular that out of one million top websites on the Internet, over 75% are created using WordPress. Being such a strong market leader makes WordPress an attractive target for attackers. One popular type of attack is password brute force on WordPress websites.

brute force attack wordpress

One of the methods many hackers use to access a WordPress site is to launch a brute force attack. Like any hacking attempt, these attacks are intended to allow hackers to access the system so that they can delete content, add their own content, or perform other Machiavellian actions. A brute force attack is one of the easiest ways to access a system.

Before diving in further you must know about What is Brute Force Attack, its impact, consequences and how to protect your WordPress site from brute force attack.

What are your views on this?

I use 50 character long password everywhere I can, so good luck!

Reactions: larsonreever

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Thats good, its better to be on safe side always, i use uppercase, lowercase and digits
Length is the key! I don't use digits and special characters in my.master password and It looks like this: "Maybethispasswordisweakbutidontcarebecausimgood"
however I would never use English words to make this password because English dictionary is what hackers use in the first place.
Easy, memorable and long. I can make it better with only ONE special character and then good luck with dictionary attack and brute force.
"Maybethispasswordisweak*butidontcarebecausimgood"

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.