Technology World Backup Day: Share how you're keeping your digital life protected

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
If you've been reading Neowin for any length of time, you know that we're big proponents of World Backup Day, which is celebrated on the 31st of March. According to estimates, the world is expected to generate 120 zettabytes of data this year and 181 zettabytes of data in 2025. With just under eight billion people on the planet, each person is generating, on average, 42 megabytes of data per day, or 15 gigabytes per year of new information. It'd be shame to lose that data to a broken phone or a fire destroying a computer.

The World Backup Day website defines a backup as, "a copy of all your important files." While true, that's a bit simplistic. Most experts agree that backups should follow the 3-2-1 rule, which means you should have three copies of your data on two different mediums, with (at least) one copy kept offsite. That means if you have your data on your phone, you should have at least one copy in a cloud service, like Google Photos, or on a NAS server somewhere outside of your house.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I use OneDrive for data backup and Restore Point Creator for system backups, it creates a restore point 5 min after each boot.
Noticed that Restore point Creator has this posted :

Restore Point Creator​

With a heavy heart I have come to the conclusion that I’m going to discontinue this program. System Restore is just not reliable to use in case something does go wrong with your system. To keep supporting this program despite all of the issues that people have with System Restore I feel is a disservice to my users; they certainly deserve better.
I have fought with Microsoft System Restore for long enough and I’m just sick and tired of it. People have been reporting issues with System Restore not working for them and worst of all, System Restore not being able to restore a system back to a working state which makes System Restore completely unreliable for the purpose that it was made for.
At this point I recommend using Macrium Reflect, it’s a free solution for most people and will be guaranteed to be able to restore your system to a known working state. Yes, it takes a lot more effort than using System Restore since it requires you, the user, to create the disk images but it is far more reliable than System Restore and is 100% guaranteed to work every single time you need it to work.
For those users who have stuck by me for all these years, it’s been a fun ride. I thank each and every one of you. Unfortunately it’s time to get off of this bronco and let this program go.
For those of you who want an additional rant about all of this… open the spoiler and read below.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.