Status
Not open for further replies.

vinylmeister

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 29, 2015
Hey MT fellowers,

just stumbled up a tool called Windows Privacy Dashboard, WPD.

Core features are:

Privacy Control
Customize Group Policy, Services and Tasks responsible for data collection and transmission.

Telemetry IP Blocker
Rules for firewall from the @crazy-max repository.

Appx uninstaller
Easy remove pre-installed Windows Store garbage.

Tweaker
Additional privacy settings and system tweaker.

Anybody heard of it? Is it trustworthy and reliable? Seems it can handle those metro (cr)apps which come with W10 FCU update.

WPD

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

A lot of the best software comes out of Russia. Not sure why that's an issue.

I tossed this into my FortiSandbox, it's tossing around in there now and I will report back. I tested it in a VM and it seems very good, a one-stop place for all of the Win10 spying settings. It also finds settings most other products of this type miss.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Analysis has finished, for what it's worth.

FortiSandbox tossed it around for about 30 minutes. I flagged it for extended evaluation. No issues found so I am going to trust FortiSandbox which is a premier advanced threat detection appliance.

The program dials home only briefly for a quick update check over a 443 to 192.241.129.87 which resolves to a US based server farm not linked to any malware sources. 192.241.129.87 - United States - Digital Ocean - IP address location and data The nature of a program that makes this many changes is some overly touchy appliances might flag it. But the reality is, it modifies tasks, puts in IP's on WFW, deletes registry keys and other things that you WOULD expect for those privacy changes, so if a sandbox appliance is touchy it may flag it - unjustly so. IMO

It seems fine to me at this point and has a really professional GUI.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Analysis has finished, for what it's worth.

FortiSandbox tossed it around for about 30 minutes. I flagged it for extended evaluation. No issues found so I am going to trust FortiSandbox which is a premier advanced threat detection appliance.

The program dials home only briefly for a quick update check over a 443 to 192.241.129.87 which resolves to a US based server farm not linked to any malware sources. 192.241.129.87 - United States - Digital Ocean - IP address location and data The nature of a program that makes this many changes is some overly touchy appliances might flag it. But the reality is, it modifies tasks, puts in IP's on WFW, deletes registry keys and other things that you WOULD expect for those privacy changes, so if a sandbox appliance is touchy it may flag it - unjustly so. IMO

It seems fine to me at this point and has a really professional GUI.
Thanks for the effort you put into this, it is appreciated brother (y)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Ok, I went and tinkered with this using WFC & Glasswire, and here is what I found,
If your running WFC, the rules wont take (at least for me), they are deleted or disabled depending on what you have WFC set to do with unauthorized rules. I even set it so that WPD.exe was in the trusted group and it did not matter.
With my Galsswire awake and WFC sleeping (Disabled) the rules were allowed to stay and were not Disabled or Deleted.
See below for what you should see if successful:
FW_SS.png

I was going to add them manually to Windows Firewall with WFC, then I got a look at the first list, and decided I was not gonna :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.