WSA vs AV-test June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
During May and June 2012 we continuously evaluated 25 home user security products using their default settings. We always used the most current publicly-available version of all products for the testing. They were allowed to update themselves at any time and query their in-the-cloud services. We focused on realistic test scenarios and challenged the products against real-world threats. Products had to demonstrate their capabilities using all components and protection layers.

Source

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Pretty decent scores for WSA. But widely fluctuates. Still I dont like a completely cloud solution. The only one I would recommend is Trend Micro.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
MalwareVirus said:
WSA provides a travel pakedge for viruses,trojens at your PC.

not sure to understand you ^^

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
MalwareVirus said:
WSA provides a travel pakedge for viruses,trojens at your PC.

not sure to understand you ^^
Actualy i m saying i have used it many times before & always during using, it shows no security threat but when i run MBAM scan mbam found 2 or 3 trojen every time when i using it, i know i have a trojen in my pc so i had a bad experiance with it.:)

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
no Av can catch everything thats why we use layered protection

just because WSA missed something do's not mean much because other Av-programs
could of missed them also all one has to do is look at the removel help part of
security forums and you will find that alot of stuff get past all different names
of Antivirus programs

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
I m agree with u "no Av can catch everything" but as i test Av i m definatly says it is weak compare to other antivirus.

P

Plexx

Thread author
MalwareVirus said:
I m agree with u "no Av can catch everything" but as i test Av i m definatly says it is weak compare to other antivirus.

It ain't weak. For normal users is perfectly fine, apart from the price.

Grab about 20 samples that are over 7 months old and still in the wild and you will see them being detected.

Even if it doesnt detect, it monitors and once a signature is fixed, rollback feature kicks in (although I do hope they have fixed the previous "bug" I found...).

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
Biozfear said:
MalwareVirus said:

Grab about 20 samples that are over 7 months old and still in the wild and you will see them being detected.

Even if it doesnt detect, it monitors and once a signature is fixed, rollback feature kicks in (although I do hope they have fixed the previous "bug" I found...).
Ok i tell what i face with it i have many cracks ,patches which i collected from torrents sites it detect some of them so i think rest r not harmfull so it do not detect them but when MBAM or superantispywhere catch them it shows a message threat detected so what is this ?
while other antivirus like kaspersky,avira,CIS catches them.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
MalwareVirus said:
Biozfear said:
MalwareVirus said:

Ok i tell what i face with it i have many cracks ,patches which i collected from torrents sites it detect some of them so i think rest r not harmfull so it do not detect them but when MBAM or superantispywhere catch them it shows a message threat detected so what is this ?

How are you called yourself a tester but you barely understand what you've tested?

You definitely don't understand how WSA categorized cracks and patches it only detects what are harmful to your computer. It's works in smart way. I don't care what test results shows because it's just a lab test and that what it exactly is a TEST, in real world situation it's very much different.

I have EAM in one of my computers which has a great detection and i LOVE it but i trust WSA more onced i knew how wonderful this little software is.

I don't care much how great my realtime antimalware detection is because i rarely get infected even though i'm a high risk user. So what does second opinion scanners like MBM, HMP, free online scanner are actually there for? You tell me?

:D

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
bitbizket said:
MalwareVirus said:
Biozfear said:
MalwareVirus said:

How are you called yourself a tester but you barely understand what you've tested?

You definitely don't understand how WSA categorized cracks and patches it only detects what are harmful to your computer. It's works in smart way. I don't care what test results shows because it's just a lab test and that what it exactly is a TEST, in real world situation it's very much different.

I have EAM in one of my computers which has a great detection and i LOVE it but i trust WSA more onced i knew how wonderful this little software is.

I don't care much how great my realtime antimalware detection is because i rarely get infected even though i'm a high risk user. So what does second opinion scanners like MBM, HMP, free online scanner are actually there for? You tell me?

First of all thanx for reply coz nobody has time for others so thanx but i m not saying that i m a tester ,i only write" i test Av "coz i love to see antivirus detection rate like as a normal user did ,so i m not a tester i clear it, i m here coz i want know about antivirus & if i dont discuss it so how i learn about it from you,biozfear,Umbrall,Jack,Mclovin,stranger & other respected members of MalwareTips.So dont be think that i m a tester i m just a antivirus lover who want to know about it more & more & i share my experiance with antiviruses with MalwareTips members & truly i learnt much from here.I m also uses EAM ,CIS premium since some time before when i read about them here in this fouram.
Thanx again :)

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
No problemo, we learn until we we die ;)
Sir really i learn much from your comments & reviews as i read since 2-3 months when i first visit this site.Thanx for your suggetions & reviews.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
MalwareVirus said:
bitbizket said:
MalwareVirus said:
Biozfear said:
MalwareVirus said:

First of all thanx for reply coz nobody has time for others so thanx but i m not saying that i m a tester ,i only write" i test Av "coz i love to see antivirus detection rate like as a normal user did ,so i m not a tester i clear it, i m here coz i want know about antivirus & if i dont discuss it so how i learn about it from you,biozfear,Umbrall,Jack,Mclovin,stranger & other respected members of MalwareTips.So dont be think that i m a tester i m just a antivirus lover who want to know about it more & more & i share my experiance with antiviruses with MalwareTips members & truly i learnt much from here.I m also uses EAM ,CIS premium since some time before when i read about them here in this fouram.
Thanx again :)

" i test Av..." literally means you are tester added by your username makes it sounds so.

You provide a good point, plus 1 to that.

Anyway just to point that WSA isn't weak, if you look closely in the AV-Tests product test results from Jan-Aug, Webroot ranks decently above the likes of Panda, Avira, Avast, Trend, GFI, ESET and Fortinet.

Even so you should view these test results with a grain of salt.

Thanks ;)

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
bitbizket said:
" i test Av..." literally means you are tester added by your username makes it sounds so.

You provide a good point, plus 1 to that.

Anyway just to point that WSA isn't weak, if you look closely in the AV-Tests product test results from Jan-Aug, Webroot ranks decently above the likes of Panda, Avira, Avast, Trend, GFI, ESET and Fortinet.

Even so you should view these test results with a grain of salt.

Thanks ;)
Thanx for reply it really helps me to know more :)

P

Plexx

Thread author
It did take me awhile to fully understand WSA potential.

They have something which, although I am still skeptical, I have learnt to respect and even I have offered for further testing.

This is what I am referring to (Funny fact: search the keyword Webroot in youtube and my vid is the first on the list:)).

I have also used it as a standalone for awhile and to be honest, it works perfectly fine for me.

I don't go to torrent sites or cracks. I do use torrents to download legit isos (windows msdn versions, linux distros etc).

I even paid for Perfect Disk and other tools, despite cracks and work arounds being available (simply look at the first few posts of my config).

Anyways, I always said WSA has potential and only set back was detection rate. This is not to be confused with simply zero day detection. An average detection rate + all the features it currently has is good enough to protect the beginner and average user.

Their recent incorporation of zero day shield/protection is something I need to look as I have not had the chance, but in theory is a good addition.

One thing I still say its the price tag attached to it. That does prevent users. If they have lowered the price, I am sure there would be more users. That's just my opinion anyway.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
If WSA was weak i will not use and beta-test it ;)

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
It's actually good, though i am not so sure about the firewall, yet to try out the complete suite( Just tried the AV with CF and loved it) . Would greatly appreciate if Biozfear (love your vids) or Umbra Corp ( read loads of your review as well :p ) could enlighten me about it's firewall :D. I have installed it on a couple of old pc (family pc ) hanging around with the av and zone alarm fw to keep it simple for the family and it's been working great (Family Usage : FB, flash games and whole lot of google searches). But so far so good nothing wrong with the pc. I am not saying that this product is perfect and a must have, but it's worth a try, detection ain't that great agreed but if you keep things smart and simple you can avoid most of viruses / malware anyway.

P.S. I have Timefreeze & MAB (system is still clean) on it just in case. :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.