Wuala: Backup. Sync. Share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Wuala: Backup. Sync. Share. Access Everywhere.
All data encrypted on your computer. And all free.

Regular members of Comodo's forums probably know how much I harp about Wuala. I think it is pretty good. You can basically have unlimited storage, if you "trade" your space on your hard drive for online space.

Please see this page for more details.

Wuala's Technology

A quote:

You start with 1 GB provided by us. If you want more, you can either buy more storage, or trade some space on your hard disk for additional online storage. The idea behind trading is not to give you more storage in total, but to change the quality of your storage: Wuala is able to transform local storage into online storage that can be accessed from anywhere and at any time, even when your computer is offline. Please note that trading is an option, not an obligation. If you need extra space but don't want to trade, you can always buy additional storage instead.

Features:

What is Wuala
Wuala is secure online storage, a haven in the cloud to store your files. You can safely access and share your files with friends, family, and co-workers.

Security & Privacy
Wuala is the place for storing data with security in mind. In order to protect your privacy, Wuala encrypts the data on your computer before it is uploaded. During the upload, your data is split up into many different pieces and stored in multiple places to make certain that you never lose a single file. For added security your password is never transmitted, which means that no one - not even the employees at Wuala - can see your private files.

Backup & Versioning
Don't ever worry again about losing your vacation pictures, your music collection or your end of term paper. With Wuala Backup you can rest assure that your digital life is safe. In case you need to access previous versions of files, or have accidentally deleted a file on your desktop, Wuala lets you restore it, saving you time and stress. [Wuala lets you go back in time to view old versions of files, and deleted files.]

Sync
Keep your files in sync with just one click. If you're on the go and add a file to your Wuala Sync folder, the file will automatically appear on all of your computers, edits on your home computer will instantly appear on your work computer. Your files are always up to date, anywhere at anytime.

Store & Access
Access your files from any computer with an Internet connection, wherever you are. Now, you can manage files with your own secure Wuala account at home and at work. Store documents, presentations, images, or media files - anything you want, no matter the file size or format. Wuala's intuitive interface also makes online slideshows easy, allowing you to select the size of your photos for family and friends.

Instead of emailing files, share documents, photos, and media directly from your Wuala account. Using our simple filing system, share folders with fellow members of Wuala or send links to your contacts that have yet to join. Links can be accessed immediately - with no registration required.

Collaborate
Business Groups are great for businesses, associations, communities or teams who want to store their files in one central and secure location. Private and Public Groups count the used storage for uploaded files to an individual account, while Business Groups allow you and your team to share an amount of storage together. Simply share data with colleagues and co-workers in one Business Group, edit documents or leave a comment. Get ready to collaborate in a new way.

Trade or Buy
You get 1 GB to start with. If you need more, we offer two ways to get additional storage: trading or buying. Our award-winning technology lets you exchange unused storage on your computer for more storage on Wuala. If you prefer not to trade, you can purchase as much additional capacity on Wuala as you need, using one of our competitive and popularly priced storage plans.

A video for each feature is available here: http://www.wuala.com/en/learn/features

You can also start with 2GB, and give me some extra, if you use this reference link. Thanks!

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
if i understand the so called trade thing in order to achieve more GB online you can give the unused space to wuala so that your computer works a "server". I fail to see the logic... sorry

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Same here. But what is the ratio. If a "donate" 10GB how much cloud space do I get in return?

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
It is to save Wuala the bandwidth costs. Wuala will reserve a certain amount of space (whatever you define) for itself. It will then download encrypted fragments of files people have uploaded, and use a system like P2P when they download.

So the encrypted file fragments go from you to the downloader, saving Wuala the bandwidth. (And if no one has the files you want, Wuala also has many servers too.)

The amount of online space you get is the percent of your average online time times the space you are trading. (I.e. my PC is online 50% of time. I trade 20 GB. So the free space I get is 10 GB.)

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Update: In a week or two, Wuala is going to drop the trading feature. https://forum.wuala.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2231

Tons of people are upset about it, including me, but I can see why. The whole thing was too complicated and they said that they lacked enough good devs.

But now...I don't have a good free online backup/sync. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.